Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Suggestions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Suggestions Post any suggestions for new Wyvern content here that is too complicated to explain in the idea log or that you want to first get feedback on from other players.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:53 PM

Warcow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Lightbulb Guild Only Skills

As with most other suggestions, this is probably nothing more than a wish list. So read it for haha's and tell me what you think

As the title suggests, I think it'll be neat to have skills only trainable after attaining certain ranks in a guild, which the players may choose to take with them even after they leave the guild.
Unlike most other skills, these skills are more powerful and should have a cap of two or three, for ease of balance and rp.
These skills are more combat-oriented, and will work similar to the berserk skill, ie. timer based (with a few exceptions, see below)

Paladin's Guild

Shield Bash - Training in this skill will teach the paladin to use the shield to subdue his enemy
Effect: the next attack (ie. swing) will do smash damage to all enemies surrounding the paladin, temporarily paralyzes.
- damage and accuracy scales with skill trained in shield bash and strength, find weakness also applies.
- must be wearing a shield to use
- can only be trained after achieving the 5th level in paladin's guild

Smite - Focusing all of his strength for one fatal strike, the paladin will deliver a devastating thrust of his sword to his foe.
Effect: the next attack will do heavy stab damage, extra damage to undead and demons (similar the artifact "slay" effect)
- drastically increased accuracy
- can only be trained after you achieve the paladin lord rank.
- can only be used when wielding a sword

Axeman Guild

Whirlwind - In the heat of battle, the mighty axeman lashes out in a deadly circular motion, cutting down all that is near.
Effect: Similar to the paladin's shield bash, using this skill will cause the next swing to simultaneously damage all surrounding enemies, but with decreased accuracy
- also shows the character 'spinning', similar to some players alias of "face s;face w;face n;face e"
- can be used with ALL weapons
- only taught to grandmaster axemen

Archer's Guild

Aim - further teaching in the art of mastering ranged weapons allow archers to shoot much more accurately
Effect: increase ranged weapon accuracy
- for Sharpshooters and above only.

Strafe
- A true master of the bow can call upon the spirit of the arrow in moments of need to vanquish his unseen enemies.
effect: simultaneously shoots a magical arrow (summoned out of thin air like magic whip, does magic damage) in all eight directions.
- damage scales with skills trained in strafe, ranged weapons, and find weakness
- for grandmasters archers only.

Monks Guild
Focus - a legendary skill only learned by grandmaster martial artists
Effect: training 1 point in this skill is akin to training 2 points in healing and 1 point in find weakness.
- only taught to grandmaster martial artists

Mage Guild

Spiritual Awareness - a powerful sense only the most powerful mages have mastered.
Effect: training one point in this skill is akin to training 2 points in meditation and 1 point in spirit travel
- only taught to arch-mages.

That's all I could think of at the moment, I just wanted to pitch the concept out there and see what everyone thought, I'm sure there are lots of (better) guild-only skills that we can think of.

Last edited by Warcow : 07-07-2008 at 08:56 PM. Reason: typos, format, etc.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:01 PM

Frosten has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I like the idea of guild-only skills, it would make the game even more fun. They all seem cool, even though they mostly look like skills you would see from Diablo 2.

Glacio (Frost Giant Axeman) (level 30)
Then (Human Mage) (level 28)
Shoot (Rakshasa Caveman) (level 26)
Magiz (Halfling Enchanter) (level 26)
Patron (Human Conjurer) (level 25)
Dboss (Halfling Rogue) (level 25)
Old 07-07-2008, 09:01 PM

Crier has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Crier

I think that skills more like the monk's one would be easier to implement then a whole new way of attacking...
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both." -Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-07-2008, 09:08 PM

Thanks for the quick feedback, guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosten View Post
I like the idea of guild-only skills, it would make the game even more fun. They all seem cool, even though they mostly look like skills you would see from Diablo 2.
Glad you liked it, forgive me for borrowing heavily from Diablo 2, it does have a big influence on my gaming experience lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crier View Post
I think that skills more like the monk's one would be easier to implement then a whole new way of attacking...
You're right, but i'm sure we're still quite a long way from getting anything implemented
Old 07-07-2008, 09:15 PM

While we are on the subject of D2...my Frenzy Barb with 2 192 BoTD is teh ***zors.
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both." -Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-07-2008, 09:18 PM

Logwad has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Logwad Send a message via MSN to Logwad

I found a flaw in you plan for archer only skills.

We don't have any skills points to spare.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:23 PM

Hamel has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Heh, I thought of this once, A big problem I found with it is that people would get to the max level of each guild just to train a bunch of these. =)

Smite sounds great, but should probably be given out to all the paladin levels.

The name 'Aim' seems kinda silly, maybe well aimed shot or snipe.

Focus and Spiritual Awareness both seem kinda unbalanced, very much so for SA.

And don't forget about the rogues and cavemen. D:
Old 07-07-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logwad View Post
I found a flaw in you plan for archer only skills.

We don't have any skills points to spare.
Says the elf who found spare skill points to take up enchanting :O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamel View Post
Heh, I thought of this once, A big problem I found with it is that people would get to the max level of each guild just to train a bunch of these. =)

Smite sounds great, but should probably be given out to all the paladin levels.

The name 'Aim' seems kinda silly, maybe well aimed shot or snipe.

Focus and Spiritual Awareness both seem kinda unbalanced, very much so for SA.

And don't forget about the rogues and cavemen. D:

Thanks for the feedback, Hamel,

As for the problem of unbalancing the game, think of it as an incentive to try out all the guilds of Wyvern. Also, "collecting" these skills will be harder than it looks, joining a specific guild just to gain knowledge of a skill.

First, it will require the player to gain 5 Million exp, which takes a considerable amount of time and effort, then, take into account the money and resource needed to accomplish that, and as Logwad mentioned, sometimes there just isn't enough available skill points!
Lastly, imagine a pixie, halfling, or even elf trying to become a grandmaster martial artist, or a stone giant trying to become an arch mage..

So yes, after completing the task, the player will gain a little extra muscle, but the task isn't easy to complete at all.

If you think of any suitable skills for rogues, cavemen, rangers, and conjurers, feel free to share

ps. old man crier, frenzy barbs are soooo ladder season one!
Old 07-07-2008, 10:01 PM

I haven't played in nearly a year now -.-

Old 07-07-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcow View Post
Says the elf who found spare skill points to take up enchanting :O
While I'm still in the archers guild, I have pretty much zero combat ability. Well, beside running.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
I haven't played in nearly a year now -.-
err...the server's only been down for a couple of hours... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logwad View Post
While I'm still in the archers guild, I have pretty much zero combat ability. Well, beside running.
You run like a king, Logwad...
Old 07-07-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:

You run like a king, Logwad...
More like the king's whipping boy.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:45 AM

Quote:

I meant D2 >__>

Old 07-08-2008, 02:12 AM

Klodin has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Also noticed the D2 reference. And Arrows can go in more than 8 directions. If arrows could go in all 72 directions, now that would rock.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:09 PM

Jessikha has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Glad you liked it, forgive me for borrowing heavily from Diablo 2, it does have a big influence on my gaming experience lol
I'm excited for Diablo 3! They just announced saturday before last that they're working on it. The preview trailers look amazing.

Ahem...back on topic, you forgot a Rangers guild skill, so let me suggest one for conjurers and whipsmen:

Conjurers
Lightning Whip
~~~
Conjures a whip of pure lightning. Much like magic whip, except does pure shock damage. Damage is based off of air skill and Lightning Whip skill, and duration is based off of death skill. It can have one blade spell cast on it (not vampire blade).

Only Conjurers could learn this skill (level 10 in guild).

Whipsmen
Lightning Slash
~~~
Your next x attacks do double damage. Costs x sp. Training more into lightning slash increases the number of attacks affected (maxed at 3) and reduces sp cost.

Only level 10 whipsmen can train in lightning slash.

Also, how about this:

PK Guild
Seek and Destroy
~~~
You are teleported to the location of any random member of the guild that is currently online (excluding quest areas, etc.). Only trainable of up to 1 point.

You must have 'x' amount of points to train this skill.

Edit: I also forgot a caveman skill, so here goes:

Cavemen
Earthquake
~~~
You stomp the ground with your feet in a primal rage, causing damage to all enemies around you. The damage and radius would be determined by the number of skill points invested into the skill. It would work exactly like it does in the game when monsters use it, except it'd be good when trained enough.

What do you all think?

Last edited by Jessikha : 07-08-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:35 PM

Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand

So we should just give cavemen a spin off of a very powerful spell that the wizards don't even have set as a learnable spell at the moment?

(rhetorical question).
Old 07-08-2008, 07:44 PM

Oh I have one for all the guilds!

Silence Salkand
All ya gotta to do is join any guild, and anytime Salkand says something stupid, you use this skill and he is silenced. Duration is based off of how many points you have in this skill.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Wizard

Valkon has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Oh I have one for all the guilds!

Silence Salkand
All ya gotta to do is join any guild, and anytime Salkand says something stupid, you use this skill and he is silenced. Duration is based off of how many points you have in this skill.
Proposes 24 hours of silence per point
Old 07-08-2008, 08:21 PM

Rayor has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

That sounds pretty fair Valkon. Make the skill so it doesnt max and every guild give +2 Silence Salkand skill per guild lvl.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:56 PM

Veroule has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

You know just because Salky come out with some dumb stuff, doesn't mean it is all bad. He has a lot of idea and diarreha of the keyboard. He shares many of those ideas with us, and some are actually brilliant.

The concept of guild specific skills come close to brilliance. It is somewhat simple to implement, and can add further depth to the game. I like the concept.