Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:45 PM

Visu has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Question Why do only Humans get multiple pictures?

I didn't find this question anywhere else, sorry if it's a dupe.
Why are Humans the only race to get multiple pictures, including being the only race with guild-specific pictures? Is Wyvern just in need of more artwork? Or is there some other reason?
Thanks,
-Visu
Old 02-01-2008, 08:03 PM

Logwad has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Logwad Send a message via MSN to Logwad

Currently, it is one of their "perks" to get a changed picture before hof.

I do not know if in the future that if we had lots of new pictures of every race/guild combination if it would be implemented.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:05 PM

Curare has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I think in the beginning it was partially to encourage people to play humans, and partially because it's a lot of work making custom pics for every single race/gender/guild combination.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:07 PM

Hm - that's an interesting perspective to take, and I'm not sure I agree with it. My point of view is that every race should get at least some choice in appearance, and that customization of appearance shouldn't be a race-specific perq. If Humans are nerfed, then fix the balance in terms of abilities, not appearances.
But maybe I misunderstand something about the MUDdiness of Wyvern - I don't have any background in MUDs.
-Visu
Old 02-04-2008, 03:18 PM

Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand

Do you know how many images it would take to give each rank a different picture for every guild? Who is going to make those images? You?
I didn't think so. Your whole basic argument is, "other races should get guild images, because I want them."

Maybe one day someone will make images for the other races, and maybe the wizards will accept them, maybe they'll keep things the way they are now. But the fact of the matter is, getting a picture for guilding any race is just not that important right now.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:11 PM

Actually, Salkand, it's much worse than you think. I wasn't referring solely to guild images. For example, on the create page (http://www.cabochon.com/char/create), there are 12 human images (6 male, 6 female), and 2 for each other race or subrace (1 male, 1 female). So to answer your question:
15 non-human races * 10 new designs (5 male, 5 female) /race * 4 images/design = 600 (non-guild) images.

Now, based on the Guild page (http://www.cabochon.com/player/guilds), we need:
16 races * 2 new guild designs (1 male, 1 female)/race * 4 images/design = 128 new images per guild where there aren't currently any guild-specific images (Axeman, Caveman), so 256 images
PLUS
15 races * 2 new guild designs (1 male, 1 female)/race * 4 images/design = 120 images per guild * 6 guilds (Archers, Mages, Paladins, Rogues, Whipsmen (Whipspeople(?), Conjurers) = 720 images
The Monks guild is a little more confusing; there is an example image there that looks a lot like a Tiger Rakshasa; there is no text to help disambiguate; let's assume that it falls into the same category as the non-Axeman, non-Caveman guilds - so 120 more images.
Grand total: 600 + 256 + 720 + 120 = 1696 images. I don't usually like animated smileys, but at this point, there's one that seems appropriate:

Back to the rest of your post. You inferred from my post that I wanted those images for some sort of selfish reason. This is not the case. My original question was simply "why?" and Curare and Logwad answered that it was some sort of "perk" (thanks for the replies, btw!). From that I inferred that Humans needed to be incentivized as a choice - that is, they were insufficiently appealing as a race and needed something else to draw players to them. If that's the case, it seemed to me to be a better solution to change whatever game-mechanical problems might make them less appealing, instead of approaching the problem from what appears to me to be an unrelated dimension, namely, artwork.
Again, there's a lot of inferring going on in my statement; that's why I mentioned that I might be misunderstanding the situation, and that I'm a newcomer to MUDs.
As to who would create the art - well, I honestly don't know. Who has created the art so far? Have wizards done so, or is it just Rhialto? While this is certainly a large task, is it an insurmountable one? It could be argued that the cost far outweighs the benefit. If so, I could understand that position - it would in essence be the root answer to my first question (and Curare mentioned something along those lines). As to whether or not I would create the art - I guess the best answer is, "I'd be willing to do at least some of it; but I doubt that others would be willing to play with the dreck that I produced."
-Visu

Last edited by Visu : 02-06-2008 at 03:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-05-2008, 05:06 PM

After reading most people's post I will at first assume they are morons. Not you, I like you, your brining brains back to the forums. But, although it would be nice for all the races to get a guild image, as well as several other variations off that race, it is just not important enough compared to all the recent bugs that are currently happening in wyvern.

Even if in the near future, which in wyvern's case means anywhere from five years or more, there still needs to be comeone who can create that daunting amount of images. Of course, now that Arisu is a wizard this might become a possibility. I wouldn't put money on it though, this would require a vast amount of work.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Wizard

Arisu has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

No false hope guys, (my opinion on what should be implemented matters very little) but I love the idea of custom guild images for each race. Though, I wouldn't make a guild image for each type of human, just male and female. And 1696ish images isn't impossible, it's just a daunting number and will take some time. But say this task is completed between a couple artists over the course of one year, the workload is just about 1 four-view image every 2 days, which is more or less how fast I work anyway. Salk's right when he says this isn't too important, but most of the important buggy issues aren't solved by artists, so if by chance I got this job, it wouldn't be taking that much time away from those problems, just my life. ._.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:23 PM

Thanks for the informative reply, Arisu. I think Guild images for each race would be great (and I fully understand that they're not coming soon). Am I correct in assuming that it's possible to create new images a few at a time, and add them to the game? For example, if you created guild images for all the giants and nagas, but no other races, could you release those first? (I just picked the large races there as an example, there's no other significance to it.)
Let me throw this question out, too: are there more players in guilds or out of them? Would it benefit more players to work on the guild images first, or the "non-guild" images?
Just thinking out loud...
-Visu
Old 02-06-2008, 03:51 PM

Almost every wyvern player eventually joins a guild. It's almost a most to become as powerful as you can possibly be. There are few exceptions, of course that doesn't mean guilding is always needed.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:44 PM

Sorry, I guess I didn't ask my question clearly. I'm wondering - how many current characters (whatever that means - we'll just assume there's some way to know it right now) are in a guild, vs. how many aren't? There are characters that don't meet the prerequisites for guilds for example.
I'm trying to figure out if prioritizing guild or non-guild images is "better". In this case, the only way I can compare them is just "how many players will benefit", but that's kind of a sketchy metric. It doesn't, for example, talk about what might make the game more appealing to non-players, which would draw them in, which is in general a good thing.
And again, I do know that this is all somewhat silly, since we don't even know whether any new art would ever be created. I'm just trying to think about what the best way to go about the new art would be, if there were to be some.
-Visu