Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Suggestions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Suggestions Post any suggestions for new Wyvern content here that is too complicated to explain in the idea log or that you want to first get feedback on from other players.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:48 PM

Durango has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default No magic areas.

I would like to make a suggestion about these areas with no spells allowed. I can understand in some quest areas where you shouldn't be able to just use glimpse and see the whole map area it makes it too easy for a mage. And you shouldn't be allowed to cast fireballs and firesprays in a town.

My suggestion is to make some areas where only 'certain' spells can be cast not all spells. It doesn't make sense to me that you can't cast glimpse in town. And there are certain areas in quests where you have to fight things to move on but you aren't allowed to cast any offensive spells. At least there should be some sort of story involved in the quest that explains the reason for not being able to use spells there. Like perhaps the old ruins are still protected by the city's mage tower. It's just some way of warning you that "Hey you won't be able to cast spells and should probably train some melee or ranged weapon skill to do the quest." I know there are one or two quests in particular that warns you that you may not have the skills to complete the quest. It seems like the same could be done for others.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango View Post
I would like to make a suggestion about these areas with no spells allowed. I can understand in some quest areas where you shouldn't be able to just use glimpse and see the whole map area it makes it too easy for a mage. And you shouldn't be allowed to cast fireballs and firesprays in a town.

My suggestion is to make some areas where only 'certain' spells can be cast not all spells. It doesn't make sense to me that you can't cast glimpse in town. And there are certain areas in quests where you have to fight things to move on but you aren't allowed to cast any offensive spells. At least there should be some sort of story involved in the quest that explains the reason for not being able to use spells there. Like perhaps the old ruins are still protected by the city's mage tower. It's just some way of warning you that "Hey you won't be able to cast spells and should probably train some melee or ranged weapon skill to do the quest." I know there are one or two quests in particular that warns you that you may not have the skills to complete the quest. It seems like the same could be done for others.
That is all part of questing and game play in general. When you choose to specialize you will be limited in some areas and will have to think outside the box. You dont need to "Train" anything to get through the no magic areas or no melee areas. But other than that Im not giving you any hints. Think outside the box, be creative, use things you've not used before. Spend some time looking through stores for ideas.

Warnings.. LOL you're funny....
Old 02-14-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshuvah View Post

Warnings.. LOL you're funny....
There is a quest that does warn you I didn't want to say too much because it may be QI.

Also no Melee areas? If there are some I don't know what they are. And if there are some they haven't kept me from completing any quests.

Last edited by Durango : 02-14-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:44 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
There is a quest that does warn you I didn't want to say too much because it may be QI.

Also no Melee areas? If there are some I don't know what they are. And if there are some they haven't kept me from completing any quests.
You have not completed all the available quests
And there are many monsters that are melee resistant and difficult for meleers to kill.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:56 PM

Trayr is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

Quote:
You have not completed all the available quests
And there are many monsters that are melee resistant and difficult for meleers to kill.
Ain't that the truth.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:37 PM

There are no areas where it's impossible to kill them with melee. That's the difference.
I've already run into 3 quests where there are areas where it's impossible to kill things with spells, because it's simply not allowed.

Last edited by Durango : 02-15-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:21 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
There are no areas where it's impossible to kill them with melee. That's the difference.
I've already run into 3 quests where there are areas where it's impossible to kill things with spells, because it's simply not allowed.
Sure there are, you need to get out of RDs more
Old 02-15-2011, 07:21 PM

jezrald has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

So there are areas it's impossible to even attack things with melee? (As opposed to individual monsters that are unattackable, or monsters that are essentially impossible for a meleer to successfully kill.)
I know I need to explore a lot more and all, but that's still pretty surprising to me.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:40 PM

Rhana has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

You should go out and explore more, rather than fighting/training in the same places. It would make you more knowledgeable about these things.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:28 PM

Frosten has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

durango does bring out a good point...a meleer could switch to some sort of elemental weapon or use a blade scroll if a monster is resistant to melee, while in a mage's case he/she has to either use a weak staff or try a stronger weapon with -5 in the skill for non-spell areas...and i *have* done nearly all of the quests. i don't mean to complain how meleers have an advantage in completing some quests. I suppose using bows could alleviate the problem, but that would make me want to suggest taking the -5 ranged that mages receive. that would even the playing field only a little bit for some of the quests.

Glacio (Frost Giant Axeman) (level 30)
Then (Human Mage) (level 28)
Shoot (Rakshasa Caveman) (level 26)
Magiz (Halfling Enchanter) (level 26)
Patron (Human Conjurer) (level 25)
Dboss (Halfling Rogue) (level 25)
Old 02-15-2011, 11:59 PM

Crier has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Crier

Or perhaps have a spell that could make a melee weapon....

>.>
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both." -Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-16-2011, 07:34 AM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crier View Post
Or perhaps have a spell that could make a melee weapon....

>.>
Or perhaps looking around and see what else they could use like everyone else instead of whining? nahhh rofl

Mages have it too easy already, make a lot more monsters they can barely damage like diamond golems, then they might be on a more even keel with meleers.

That the have to think of things to use, like meleers have for year with elemental weapons is a good thing, not something bad.

There are currently areas/monsters that meleers cant kill, period, not even if they learn acid dart. Mages just are lazy *nod*
Old 02-16-2011, 01:24 PM

Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand

Lazy! I would take offense to that, if I weren't so lazy!
Old 02-16-2011, 02:06 PM

Zeofar has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
That is all part of questing and game play in general. When you choose to specialize you will be limited in some areas and will have to think outside the box.
When you choose not to specialize you'll be limited in all areas and will have to stay out of the box >.>.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeofar View Post
When you choose not to specialize you'll be limited in all areas and will have to stay out of the box >.>.
And many players do it and do just fine.