Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:54 PM

SlothyJoe has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
just so you know cobochon, and the sprites in that are all copywritten material.
Yeah, I'm swapping them out already. I just havn't had a chance to build it into a functional model yet
Old 09-15-2015, 09:07 PM
Player Mod

Nodlove has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlothyJoe View Post
I didn't change anything, is there still a weird way of viewing the text?
YouTube

It's just a quick demo, and you have to have those 2 credential files at the root (so C:\*.txt). It should run locally if you'd like to try it yourself, I'm working on getting it to port forward to my home PC and maybe get a ghetto chat server running at least.
Is this socket level programming, or are you using some other protocol (like the Python Twisted module)? Either way, it's good to see someone who's working on a Wyvern mock at least have the client/server model started. I've done simple socket level client/server connections in Python, but I never used Swing enough to get the Jython interface you have here. So bravo! You should keep the videos coming as you make progress.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:29 AM

SlothyJoe has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodlove View Post
Is this socket level programming, or are you using some other protocol (like the Python Twisted module)? Either way, it's good to see someone who's working on a Wyvern mock at least have the client/server model started. I've done simple socket level client/server connections in Python, but I never used Swing enough to get the Jython interface you have here. So bravo! You should keep the videos coming as you make progress.
Yeah, it's socket level programming, a little complicated to get to work with queues and what not, but it's semi functional. And it's purely in Java, I'll keep that in mind when I post an update instead of just posting links on the subreddit.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:51 PM
Player Mod

Nodlove has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlothyJoe View Post
Yeah, it's socket level programming, a little complicated to get to work with queues and what not, but it's semi functional. And it's purely in Java, I'll keep that in mind when I post an update instead of just posting links on the subreddit.
Jython is fantastic. You should check it out. It has all the awesomeness of Java with the ease-of-use of Python.

As some of you know, Joe has been working on a game, but I've also been working on a game in tandem, it's called "Sword and Spell." It's a Roguelike.

So to answer the original question, I would consider myself an intermediate developer, I've had a decade of experience playing around with programming, a couple years of experience as a professional graphic artist, a few years of hobbyist digital music production, and tons of time goofing off with game engines. That having been said, I can't gauge how long it would take for a professional, but I can gauge how long it would take me.

I've been putting in pretty much full work weeks for a month and a half and "Sword and Spell" is not even close to done (I've only programmed 70+ sprites! Oh noze! xD ). Assuming this is all from scratch with no outside assistance - music, programming, art, game mechanics - a full-on singleplayer Wyvern would probably take a few years for someone at my skill level, considering how much content was in it - original art, gameplay, NPC interactions, and hundreds of maps made by hand). Not to mention all of the concepts Wyvern borrowed from Roguelikes, such as shadowcasting, lightmapping, random dungeons, etc. Then there's play-testing and balancing everything, not to mention thinking out on pen and paper and then actually implementing a good battle system (keeping players' interest is extremely important).