Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:20 AM

Wurm has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Wurm Send a message via MSN to Wurm

Today, I was writing code to make an old application compatible in a Java 7 environment. As I did so, I realized I needed to look into the old Java runtime environments, which in turn provided me with a healthy flashback to the world of Wyvern - a game I wasted many, many hours on as a youth. Well, not wasted, but I got half as far as most (in terms of levels) with four times as much effort.

But it was a pleasant memory and today I went looking for Wyvern, and my continually disheartening search has led me here.

I am deeply saddened to see Wyvern in such a place after so long. It is almost as if a relic from my middle-school days has faded out of memory.

I'm not sure where else I could go to write this, but suffice to say Wyvern was the game that filled my heart when my social life was not up to par. I remember travelling deep into ancient caves, only to run out in horror as a shoggoth or Wyvern reared its ugly head (I was never very good at the game), and I died a great many times. I remade Wurm half a dozen times, each as some new thing - I remember my first approach was to make a naga mage. It failed horribly, but I think I got to Level 14 before some hydra told me "Hey. Fool. Go monk."

It may not mean much to the entities currently gathered here, fading in and out of a dying forum in some type of distemperate vigil, but Wyvern was a great game, and I know that so much of that was due to the tireless efforts of the Wizards. I cannot possibly convey in words the amazing feeling that overcame me when I was first accepted into the mage's guild - a naga mage, can you imagine that? - but it was one of many sensations of discovery, wonderment, and adventure that Wyvern provided me with. From Binyamin's sinister toy castle (I never didn't die in that toy castle) to the timeless Ziggurat, from the ruins of Minath Elion to the original Mist Temple, Wyvern was a labor of love, and I truly see that now in a way I could never conceive of before.

The glimmer of hope, for me, is to see Arilou continue to post here, a demonstration of the tenacious genius of the heraldry which played and ultimately built the world of Wyvern that captivated me as a young man.

Arilou, you might not remember me, but I remember you. Thanks for everything, and it is my sincerest hope that Wyvern returns, that it may continue to bring joy and wonder to Wyvernites that will stumble upon this charming game for years to come.

-Wurm, the Naga who could never break Level 21, and dreamed of the day when he would make the Hall of Fame.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:01 AM
Player Mod

Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I think it's safe to say never right about now. Looks like R completely forgot about us.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
I think it's safe to say never right about now. Looks like R completely forgot about us.
Unless Rhialto gets hit by a car one day, the game will never not be back in some form or another - If he can't find a way to do something with it, he will either open source it or he will find someone else to run it (apparently he's "had offers"). The question is, if he is not able to find a way to bring it back himself [in the kind of way that he wants] how long will he keep the game in "stasis" before going to one of those options?

Oh wait, I forgot I was Arilou for a second. Um... put me down for never as well. <insert evil laughter>
Old 09-25-2011, 09:20 AM
Wizard

Valkon has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post

Oh wait, I forgot I was Arilou for a second. Um... put me down for never as well. <insert evil laughter>
Have you been eating unripe (skinny) halflings again?
Old 09-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Player Mod

Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Heck to be honest I wouldn't mind being one of those offers as well :P I see myself watching my own RDing vid on youtube just to remember the good ol' days.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:14 AM

Morgus has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

The server is always up in my dreams. Yes, I dream about playing Wyvern. Why, just last week I dreamt that I was running for my life from crazy unkillable dracoliches in some crazy ruins that were like a mix of Ancient Vesimas and Forgotten Oak. And I died. A lot. And it was glorious.

How cool is that?
Old 09-26-2011, 03:10 AM

Trayr is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

Sounds like we should be worried about you.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:06 AM

Wurm has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Wurm Send a message via MSN to Wurm

Sounds awesome.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:46 PM

Thrayn has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

If history repeats itself, I'd imagine late 2012. If not then maybe November or December of this year.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:53 PM

Lanterra has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
Unless Rhialto gets hit by a car one day, the game will never not be back in some form or another - If he can't find a way to do something with it, he will either open source it or he will find someone else to run it (apparently he's "had offers"). The question is, if he is not able to find a way to bring it back himself [in the kind of way that he wants] how long will he keep the game in "stasis" before going to one of those options?

If news gets out that he has been hit by a car there are those of us who would do our best to remake wyvern..... open source would be awesome though. I gotta say what he needs is a benefactor who has the money and wants to see the game up and running without making tons of changes.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Wizard

Valkon has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanterra View Post
If news gets out that he has been hit by a car there are those of us who would do our best to remake wyvern..... open source would be awesome though. I gotta say what he needs is a benefactor who has the money and wants to see the game up and running without making tons of changes.
I doubt money is the issue, it's been said many times. Motivation is the real issue.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:56 PM

Frosten has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkon View Post
I doubt money is the issue, it's been said many times. Motivation is the real issue.
Agreed. I mean, the man works at Google, not a thrift shop.

Glacio (Frost Giant Axeman) (level 30)
Then (Human Mage) (level 28)
Shoot (Rakshasa Caveman) (level 26)
Magiz (Halfling Enchanter) (level 26)
Patron (Human Conjurer) (level 25)
Dboss (Halfling Rogue) (level 25)
Old 12-04-2011, 07:13 PM

Mana has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I had an itching to get back to Wyvern today, was very disappointed when I found out that another hiatus was under way... I'll definitely check back once every few days and I hope it's back fairly soon.

I am a firm believe that, with a spoon and a towl, you can conquer anyone.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

It's funny that nobody guessed that it would be back on a date after 2012 (well, except us never people ). Particularly because there has technically never been a year where there has been no Wyvern since it opened to the public. Even though it looked like that would be the case in 2007, Rhialto managed to pull things together just under the wire. But, that will not be the case for 2012 - The year that there was no Wyvern.

Anyway, I'm sure you guys are more concerned with the overall length of a downtime, but I thought that was interesting little tidbit. *shrugs*
Old 12-10-2012, 03:17 PM

Trayr is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

What are you talking about, 2012 is not over yet. It will be up any day now, I am sure of it.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:22 PM

Exile has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

If anything, I'm thinking sometime around December 2013 at the earliest. As long as it comes back up at some point in the next few years I'll be happy.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:12 PM

bomblancer has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default So many posts I am jsut going to ask again

So, in being too lazy to search and read more for myself I will ask again. Is Wyvern down and if so when will/ if it will be up roughly?
Old 01-20-2013, 09:16 PM

blazerv has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Hey guys, do we know a rough time frame on when this game will be back up? (Even if its a very very rough estimate)

Sadly I haven't followed the news in the forums so I'm totally clueless on any conversations that had R in it.

Thanks! !
Old 01-20-2013, 10:06 PM
Player Mod

Dracco has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerv View Post
Hey guys, do we know a rough time frame on when this game will be back up? (Even if its a very very rough estimate)

Sadly I haven't followed the news in the forums so I'm totally clueless on any conversations that had R in it.

Thanks! !
Rumor is sometime this year but my personal guess is it will be up as soon as I transfer to a university and have no time to play.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:32 PM

blazerv has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracco View Post
Rumor is sometime this year but my personal guess is it will be up as soon as I transfer to a university and have no time to play.
Oo ok thx dracco. And yeah go for that higher education! !