Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Suggestions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Suggestions Post any suggestions for new Wyvern content here that is too complicated to explain in the idea log or that you want to first get feedback on from other players.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:13 PM

Tudwal has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Eye Clerics and Religion

The one traditional character choice that Wyvern lacks is a cleric. There certainly could be, but perhaps not in the traditional sense of healing and blunt weapons. I'm just tossing out ideas here, so feel free to reply with others.

1. Clerics could train in staff weapons, one of the two working guild-less weapons.

2. As has already been established ad nauseam in another thread, life magic is rather pointless to train in (aside from summoning). A cleric in Wyvern could achieve full heal and just heal others, but that is little different from any full healing fighter.

3. If we have clerics, then we should have deities. I think we should use the pantheon of gods which are already in the game -- the Norse gods in Asgard. You could theoretically make-up a whole new set of gods, but then you would have to explain why the new gods are the real ones and the Norse are has-beens.

3. Wyvern could also borrow (again) from Crossfire and use a similar system of religion. Each god could have a temple or two in various places around Wyvern. Each god would grant their clerics certain spells, abilities, and/or items. Crossfire uses the spell "holy word" which damages certain monsters which are considered the god's "enemies." This way, the cleric could use religion in an offensive way. You could also have certain trainable skills behind the religious abilities and spells, which would retain the same need for planning out a cleric's skillset that anyone else has.

I do realize that adding clerics to the game, however it was done, would involve a lot of coding and wizardly work, but since we're dreaming....
Old 04-30-2009, 10:47 PM

Ariful has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

i h ave played crossfire i was a dragon i was in the unarmed god something cult

this is a pretty good idea i like the religon ones
Old 05-01-2009, 04:48 PM

Beckhan has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Not that I play Wyvern anymore, but I'd like to say that the things that turn me off to many other forms of RPGS have mainly to do with emulating creepy religions. It's one thing to create a character that uses magic to cas a fireball as a weapon to defeat a monster. It's another thing entirely to emulate worshipping the volcano god by rituals and sacrifices and recieving from said diety the abillity to immolate enemies created by the god of death.

When I play games, I like to solve riddles and figure things out. When I role play I like to express what I believe are good character qualities. When I MUD I like to interact with other humans that are expressing their qualities on a variety of nets (insert TelNet nostalgia here). The disgust of pretending to worship any variety of invented dieties could possibly ruin that gratification for me on so many levels.

Peace

ps.I can't wait 30-40 some years from now when all my kids are taking care of me. I'm totally gonna start playing Wyvern again.

Last edited by Beckhan : 05-02-2009 at 03:27 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:46 PM

Exile has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I agree with Beckhan.
Sorry, but your idea would completely ruin Wyvern imo.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:04 AM

Hamel has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I would like to see a cleric guild (perhaps a subsection of the paladin's guild?), but deities seem a bit too deep for Wyvern.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:18 AM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

It's on the list, so to speak - If a wizard wants to code it, it will be done. And by "it," I mean something like, but mostly different from Tudwal's suggestion (for one, it won't involve Norse gods). An arch wizard, long ago, wrote up a document for how to handle it, which a wizard interested in the project can follow, not follow, (although, that's not recommended) or expand on as he or she likes. Ultimately, there's nothing wrong with joinable religious orders as an option in the game. It's not like you will be forced to join one. At worst, you will simply have to group with/see players who have. It's been on the list forever, though, so there's no reason to concern yourself over it, as you probably won't still be playing by the time it is gotten around to.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:41 PM

drate has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
as a offshoot idea from the clerics guild and a idea for the healings isue there could be a guild for priests loosley based on the mages/conjurer guilds. just give them a full group heal availible only to the guild. give them minus 10 in evo,conjur,all elements(except life and spirit) and all melle skills. for starting bonus give plus 1 in incant and enchant(makes sense that a priest could bless). give them plus 1 in life magic at lv 1,3,5,7,9 and plus 1 spirit at 2,4,6,8,10. also give them a minus .5 sec off the delay per 2 lvls so that at top guild rank and high rank in life it is posible to cut delay in half to 2.5sec. alow them only to gain guild exp when in group.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:03 PM

Logwad has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Logwad Send a message via MSN to Logwad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckhan View Post
Not that I play Wyvern anymore, but I'd like to say that the things that turn me off to many other forms of RPGS have mainly to do with emulating creepy religions. It's one thing to create a character that uses magic to cas a fireball as a weapon to defeat a monster. It's another thing entirely to emulate worshipping the volcano god by rituals and sacrifices and recieving from said diety the abillity to immolate enemies created by the god of death.

When I play games, I like to solve riddles and figure things out. When I role play I like to express what I believe are good character qualities. When I MUD I like to interact with other humans that are expressing their qualities on a variety of nets (insert TelNet nostalgia here). The disgust of pretending to worship any variety of invented dieties could possibly ruin that gratification for me on so many levels.
Heh, these are my thoughts exactly on the whole religion in games thing.

I dislike it even more than skillpoints. ;D