Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Player Mod

Dracco has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enerath View Post
Having a server that never went down would a server that never got updated no?
And, I don't know the opinions of others but Wyvern on mobile devices sounds unappealing. Adventuring in general sounds too difficult on iPods, phones, etc.

I see it as a different target audience. The ones who play Wyvern on a PC are not the ones that will be playing it on their mobile devices save for a small few. It is intended to reach a new group of people besides PC gamers and since Wyvern isn't a resource demanding game (atleast on our end anyways) it may be a perfect fit for people wanting to play a game for an hour or so while waiting for something. But I don't have much experience in the area of mobile gaming because I really don't care for it and I do not have a phone capable of playing anything more than Sudoku so I can't really say how effective a mobile application would be but it appears people tend to throw money at mobile device applications.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:15 PM

Enerath has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

You raise a good point, However (someone interject if I'm wrong) only R has access to the main code. Someone would have to convince him to edit the code so the game could be ported to Mobile. Even then it would take a while for the new bugs to be worked out.

Last edited by Enerath : 07-22-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:12 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
Having a server that never went down would a server that never got updated no?
It's just the opposite. Having the server that has gone down will mean a server that "never" gets updated when it returns as I don't know who, in their right mind, is going to put effort into building up the game after what has transpired (twice). Meanwhile, having a server that never went down, meant three active arch wizards finishing up balance issues and then completely switching focus to new content while pointlessly trying to convince Rhialto to do something about the server so the playerbase could grow again. Assuming, that is, that the server could have remained working had it not been touched - It may very well have died by now and taken all the data stored on it with it.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:01 AM

Agh, I was just stating how counter productive one server that was always up would be.
And even with all that has happened so far, some people will leave, and new ones will come. When/if the game comes back this'll just be "another downtime" and there'll be more players asking "if u guyz can make me wizzerd".
Old 07-23-2012, 08:36 AM
Forum Admin

Quote:
Agh, I was just stating how counter productive one server that was always up would be.
I don't see how that's the case. If anything, multiple servers are counter-productive because the cost would make it impossible to run the game for free and, really, the game can do fine with one good server that is reliable and can handle a proper number of players.

Quote:
And even with all that has happened so far, some people will leave, and new ones will come. When/if the game comes back this'll just be "another downtime" and there'll be more players asking "if u guyz can make me wizzerd".
That depends on how Rhialto works it. Just having the server online is not good enough - If it wasn't for the few wizards who stuck around, doing whatever little they could, the game wouldn't have made it as long as it did. Imagine no updates, no moderation, (though, some of you would like the game to go the wolves) and no way to alert someone that the game has crashed or is having problems... at least, that's how it was when only elder wizards had his email (there were times where, if Teshuvah and I weren't around, it would've taken a scary amount of time for Rhialto to notice there was a problem). These days, you guys might be able to get in contact with him in a few days, but since you only know his public email and don't have a phone number to call, it could take as long as weeks. But, even if you can work that out, good luck trying to get the high scores started when they stop working again or the next duplication bug fixed (which, might sound good since you guys go out of your way to try to keep it a secret, but it will hurt things in the long run) or getting the character creation page fixed when that too breaks.

As for new people wanting to be wizards, they can ask the void all they want, but that's quite a process. First you have to find someone who's actually talented and willing to put the work in to prove it (which has been extremely rare of late) and then you have to evaluate their submission, sometimes working with them to get it up to snuff. When they do get promoted, you have to spend however long it takes to help them get their content in the game and then there's months of mentoring while the wizard builds up experience before you trust them to do anything. I don't know (aka I doubt) that Rhialto will put in all that time building up a new wizard base from scratch (he hasn't even dealt with submissions since early 2003) if, in fact, nobody returns.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:59 PM

Perhaps I was being too vague in earlier posts. I wasn't trying to push on the idea of multiple servers, merely pointing out a flaw in a server that NEVER went down. It's to my understanding that for updates, bug fixes, etc. the server has to reboot for the changes to take effect, which would equal going down for a small period of time. If it never went down the game would be unupdated, buggy, and in the end, unplayable.

As for the wizards, the game would have been in ruins had they not interfered. Unfortunately I can't comment on the making of a new wizard since I know nothing about it, save for the information that WAS on cabochon and from your earlier post.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Forum Admin

Quote:
Perhaps I was being too vague in earlier posts. I wasn't trying to push on the idea of multiple servers, merely pointing out a flaw in a server that NEVER went down. It's to my understanding that for updates, bug fixes, etc. the server has to reboot for the changes to take effect, which would equal going down for a small period of time. If it never went down the game would be unupdated, buggy, and in the end, unplayable.
Oh, I see - You took a literal interruption of what Harbringer said. Of course, nobody (even Harbringer) is stupidly advocating for a server that never goes down, he just meant one that doesn't go down in the sense that the game is down now. That is, to say, for an extended period of time. Although, I'm sure people would like for Rhialto to get the server to the point where it doesn't have to reboot as much, which is another thing that is very feasible with a proper, well maintained server.

Quote:
As for the wizards, the game would have been in ruins had they not interfered. Unfortunately I can't comment on the making of a new wizard since I know nothing about it, save for the information that WAS on cabochon and from your earlier post.
The game could always go back to promoting people who solve a certain quest (back in the day, it was the Moon Quest) or people who throw junk maps together because all they care about is trying to get at those wizard commands. Then, they could be allowed to run free in the hopes that one or two people would actually end up being sane in that sea of madness (the rest would get banished after being allowed to cause trouble for months).
Old 07-24-2012, 02:45 AM

You used to be able to become Wizard just by completing a quest? Wouldn't players just give friends the information (through email or a similar program) so they could cause destruction together?
Old 07-24-2012, 06:08 AM
Forum Admin

It was before my time, so I don't know that anyone actually got promoted for just solving the Moon Quest. But that was, at one point the plan, and there was a period of under a month, before the map editor came out, where it's possible that it happened. After that, you had to make a set of maps and solve the quest. Below is all I know about it which, as you can see, is nothing besides what was posted in the news. The last post illustrates how badly this early foray into promoting people went. But that, and the 2003 incidents, served as quite the learning experience and led to much higher standards and more time put into properly vetting interested parties.

Quote:
10/4/2001 I've added a bunch of fairly minor fixes and additions lately. One major change: Kiz's new area (the Ruins of Samhoc) is opening up this weekend. It has a 10-point quest in it. What does that mean for all the potential Wizards-to-be? If your character was created before October 1, then I'll let you get away with being a Wizard just by solving the Moon Quest - when I start letting people be Wizards, that is. No ETA on when that will happen.
Quote:
11/17/2001 Various new fixes and stuff:

I fixed the Flame Shield spell to work for large characters, including nagas.
I changed the price of the Remove Curse scroll and the Uncurse Altar, so they're much cheaper now.
I uploaded a new Map Editor (version 0.2.1) with support for uploading and downloading maps from the server. You have to be a Wizard in order to do this, but if you make an area and it looks good, and you've solved the Moon Quest, I'll make you a Wizard.
Quote:
1/7/02 Lots of people have asked to be made Wizards, but the requirements changed last September or so - you now have to create a new area for the game before you can be considered for Immortality. I've updated the web pages on the new criteria in various places.
Quote:
1/11/02 I've received numerous complaints from well-respected players about some recent problems with Wizards and wiz characters. To deal with this problem, I'm going to remove the Wizardly powers from all our junior wizards - they will be able to upload and download maps, and that will be the extent of their power. Going forward, I will try to find one or two responsible players to promote as Wizards (not Junior Wizards), who will be allowed to help with the game administration.

I apologize for the inconvenience, and I hope this change will improve your gameplay. -Rhialto
Old 07-27-2012, 02:36 AM

Harbringer Of Good Stuff is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

About my statement, it would be pretty good if Wyvern did not have such a low uptime, the daily resets were pretty annoying. But honestly, Wyvern has been down for long periods of time. Maybe this time, just maybe, Wyvern will find a server that can fulfill our needs?

What's the point of being a Wizard, if the game that you are working for is constantly down? What promise is there in the future that it will not go down for a long period of time? I would personally give up on said game, and just take my business elsewhere...I also do not like the way that the current team structure is like. I might be asking for too much, but to be honest, this applies to many applications whether its games or not, but many things have a "backup server", in case the main server fails, somehow.

What do I want from R? A way to make sure we dont get long periods of downtime....But trusting it all into just one man, seems a bit farfetched to me...

I look toward the day of being the best I can be.