Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:12 PM

Warcow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Wink Hey, hows it going nowadays?

Hey guys, I'm sure not everyone remembers me, I was an avid player of Wyvern some time ago, and a respectable one at that. I don't know what everyone's feelings are on the trouble me and some of the others caused before we left, but I have enjoyed this game and wanted to drop by for a visit. Hope you guys have been well.

Lately, I've floated around the forums and site a bit, couldn't find much clue as to what happened to the game since I've been gone. So could anyone fill me in? Anything exciting happened? I hear the El Que Monsters are back... must be something...

Oh and, I've been good, going places and doing things while having plenty of fun with good people.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:40 PM

rilian has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via MSN to rilian

I have been wondering were you were. Did you quit or were you one of dupers that got banned?
Old 03-17-2009, 10:10 PM

Xae has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

He was one of the dupers

I don't even think anyone still remembers me. I got IP banned for doing the sttuupppidddest thing...meh...don't regret it though ;-)

Love you wizzies =]
Old 03-18-2009, 12:45 PM

I remember you too xae, though i never talked to you that i recall i knew who you were from the forums during the hiatus... you said i was a cutie, creeped me out a little bit, but thats ok. (proof... http://www.wyvernrpg.com/forum/showt...p?t=470&page=7
third comment from the bottom.)

Sorry to hear that you go banned warcow, now that i know you were a duper that explains how you had so many res scrolls to do the philanthropic ressurections, hehe, jk.

Last edited by rilian : 03-18-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:51 PM

Logwad has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Logwad Send a message via MSN to Logwad

You guys are super duper! :D
Old 03-19-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilian View Post
Sorry to hear that you go banned warcow, now that i know you were a duper that explains how you had so many res scrolls to do the philanthropic ressurections, hehe, jk.
Though I do not deny I 'am one of the dupers', I never resurrected people with duped scrolls.

Though part of me wants to, broadcasting my side of the story is not the purpose of my visit.

Though... --Woah! a Logwad!!! still up to your crazy antics and shing-digs? How many times have you died since I've been gone?

Last edited by Warcow : 03-19-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:48 PM

Joca has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilian View Post
I remember you too xae, though i never talked to you that i recall i knew who you were from the forums during the hiatus... you said i was a cutie, creeped me out a little bit, but thats ok. (proof... http://www.wyvernrpg.com/forum/showt...p?t=470&page=7
third comment from the bottom.)
Yeah dude that's kinda weird..I was a weird kid back in the day.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:09 PM

Default The more you know!

I haven't logged on is a while. The most I do with wyvern nowdays is lurk the forum every so often.

It's funny, I didn't go to college after high school because I had nothing to go to college for. So I got a job and saved money up. I've been somewhat recently laid off because the company is going into we'd-like-to-survive-the-year mode. I now not only have money to pay for school, but I can get 20x the state aid I would have gotten right out of high school, as long as I choose the right major or whatever.

One area that is of potential interest to me is agrology, specifically soil management/nutrition. I'm going to be calling/emailing people soon to get an idea what they actually do, what's needed, what their day is like etc. Whether anything comes of it or not, who knows.

I am also currently listening to some sweet Russian choir.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:41 AM

Crier has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Crier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logwad View Post
I am also currently listening to some sweet Russian choir.
More info, which choir and which compositions.

Seriously, I have an interest in foreign choirs and operas.
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both." -Benjamin Franklin
Old 03-20-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crier View Post
More info, which choir and which compositions.

Seriously, I have an interest in foreign choirs and operas.
The Red Army Choir, some set called The Definitive Collection.

If you have further interest in Russian songs, this site will be of great interest: http://www.sovmusic.ru/english/index.php
Old 03-20-2009, 10:29 AM

@Logwad I know a ton of people with degrees in agronomy I work for a technical support company and we support irrigation computers for golf courses. Alot of the superintendents have degrees in agronomoy some of the super paid ones have thier masters. If you want to know anything about that side of agronomy just pm me.

@warcow I think you were one of the interesting people that help make wyvern the fun game it is. People like you, logwad, sallazar/christof, igy, and even salkand are all missed. All the old players leaving/being banned kinda makes me sad.

Last edited by rilian : 03-20-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:58 AM

Crier has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Crier

Schweet, thankee.
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both." -Benjamin Franklin
Old 03-23-2009, 12:43 PM

Computer Mouse

That's awesomeness, Logwad! sounds like a pretty lucky break!
Can't say I've given Russian Choirs a try, but I've definitely developed a taste for heavy classical composers like Wagner and Beethoven... oddly enough, I find their music helps me concentrate.

sucks you don't play any more though..

In the world of Warcow, I almost died three times in four seconds the other night! We went longboarding down a big, big hill, and it was probably my third or fourth time on a board. Miraculously, I managed to not fall off the board going at 40 mph or so and making a sharp turn that swirved away from a car
Old 04-21-2009, 06:44 PM

CryForTheFire has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to CryForTheFire Send a message via MSN to CryForTheFire Send a message via Yahoo to CryForTheFire
Cool

Good day to you, Warcow. Hope all is well with you this day
Old 04-21-2009, 10:33 PM

Andron has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Hey there Cow.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:58 PM

Beckhan has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Hey Warcow. You may not remember me, I was one of only two elven archers on for a long stretch.. me and Frendy. I got to 24, saved up allll my money to fully equip with everything I needed for the final levl. (took forever to get all that cash) Bought everything I needed and then Bam.. all my plat arrows got taken away as did some other very important things. I think I was buying duped items. I got duped .

It's ok though, I was wasting too much time playing. I needed something like that to snap me back into reality. So thanks.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:52 AM

goonyton has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Back to the orginal topic. I am not quite sure when you quit Warcow but I am guessing it was after the healing nuff. I am not sure how many people remember you but in my oppion most ****es should visit your website and I still point one or two in that direction once in a while.

I have not been seeing very many of the people from when I first started playing on since the heal nurff, the plat debate, the LQ nuff(they are back I am told) ect. I have seen Kathy and Thonkhs in the last 2 months(I have not been on much myself). Other than those two I have not seen any of the old players from 2002-2006. There are a few that have recently showed up that were playing back in 2001 and are playing again. (somewhere on the forum a Wiz explained that Wyvern is designed to bore players after a while and have them quite and be replaced by new players, if that is true it seems to be working)

Recently what I have noticed that has not made the news, the wizards have been killing the RD's most go down 50 levels or less now days. If you have been on the forum you likley know about the plat and all of the related recent changes so I will not go into those.

The Lqs are spopose to be back, In the good old days we used to have LQs fairly often(I would see one at least 3 times a week), since they came back I have probably played 60-80 hours worth of Wyvern and I have seen only one LQ and the monsters were so powerful there were very few players able to beat any of them in the end that LQ went till boot.

They now have ads, that try to get people to explore that pop up like the LQ's did in the message box that say all sorts of stuff some useful.

On the plus side those who like pretty pictures to look at will find more in the way of interesting graphics. Those who like life like maps will find that most of the ones that people went to a lot ether removed or cleaned up and looking fairly nice, but more a of a pain to get across as the wizards seem to have something against straight lines.

I think those are the high points if you have any questions in particular we can try to answer them.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:34 PM

Bullfrogz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Bullfrogz Send a message via MSN to Bullfrogz

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonyton View Post
Back to the orginal topic. I am not quite sure when you quit Warcow but I am guessing it was after the healing nuff.
False, that wasn't why he quit.

Quote:
I have seen Kathy and Thonkhs in the last 2 months(I have not been on much myself). Other than those two I have not seen any of the old players from 2002-2006. There are a few that have recently showed up that were playing back in 2001 and are playing again. (somewhere on the forum a Wiz explained that Wyvern is designed to bore players after a while and have them quite and be replaced by new players, if that is true it seems to be working)
I never seen a post like that and if there was it probably was a joke knowing the wizards. I know a few who started in your time frame, including myself, and still play frequently just on alts. And the ones who did leave didn't leave because the game got boring it was for other reasons. I really don't see this game as something that bores you. If it does, than most of those who have left have returned multiple times to try out a new idea and just enjoy old times. Wyvern has the credit of having that special something in it. Also I have seen tremendous work done to create higher level weapons/armor and stronger level LQs and bosses in the game that it is even more for higher levels than ever before in my opinion.

Quote:
Recently what I have noticed that has not made the news, the wizards have been killing the RD's most go down 50 levels or less now days.
You need to explore more, it was only a few RD's that I have seen get that done too. The two I use do not have a cap on them like that and still hold strong monsters.

Anyway moving on. Welcome back Warcow I'm sure you still remember me.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:05 AM

goonyton has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrogz View Post
False, that wasn't why he quit.
I did not say it was, I was using that as a frame of referiance for a time line to explane why I am not talking about anything that happened before that time.

Quote:
I never seen a post like that and if there was it probably was a joke knowing the wizards. I know a few who started in your time frame, including myself, and still play frequently just on alts. And the ones who did leave didn't leave because the game got boring it was for other reasons. I really don't see this game as something that bores you. If it does, than most of those who have left have returned multiple times to try out a new idea and just enjoy old times. Wyvern has the credit of having that special something in it. Also I have seen tremendous work done to create higher level weapons armor and stronger level LQs and bosses in the game that it is even more for higher levels than ever before in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshuvah View Post
Because it's true bloogah. Players were never intended to stay here forever. We have said that many many times. Wyvern was intended to be played and then players to move on.
That's why the player count goes up and down in cycles. They go and more come.
If players just want to RD they are wasting a ton of game resources for nothing. And there are much better games out there for them to go play.
Arilou gives the link to them to find other free rpgs all the time.
And You didnt quote what the player said before I said that.
He said if no one would Rd with him he had no reason to stay online.
So yep, if you have no reason to stay online except to RD go find another game you'd enjoy more to "grind xp".
This thread was not how to get people to stay anyway.
It is to get NEW players to have an easier time in the tutorial/whe first playing and stay.
Quote:
You need to explore more, it was only a few RD's that I have seen get that done too. The two I use do not have a cap on them like that and still hold strong monsters.
Probably I have not messed with RDs much recently. The ones I like best are not likely something that the wizards would mess with as almost noone can find them. That said I have not been to them recently to see if they have been changed or not. I can think of 4+ of the easy to find ones that are easy to get to and have been popular, that have been messed with recently. (Three I know of from personal experaince 4th I have just heard talk of, I have not tested)
Old 05-08-2009, 04:50 AM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Which is different from saying Wyvern is "designed" to bore players after a certain amount of time. What Teshuvah is referring to is a fact of life when it comes to all games. Games have a lifecycle (so to speak) which varies from gamer to gamer. No matter how much you enjoy a game, at some point, there's going to be a time when you don't like it as much as you used to. With most games, this tends to happen sometime between you running out of new material and the replay value not doing it for you anymore. You can expand your experience with bonus levels or you can find some reason to trudge along, but eventually you're going to move on to another game. However, that's not always the end of things. If the game was good and you still have access to it, you'll probably think about it as time goes on and your memories of it fade. At which point it's not uncommon to boot that old game up and have some fun with it again. However, it'll never be what it once was when everything was new, so it will take less to get you to move on to another game this time.

The same is true with online games like Wyvern. The whole ever-expanding world concept allows us to extend the experience for gamers in a way you just can't get from other games. But there's still a limit, still a lifecycle, and that's true of all the online games out there. That's not to say people won't find reasons to waste their lives on these games, because they will, (maintaining their rank on the highscore list is the most common excuse) but at that point it's no longer a game, it's a job. It's also not the norm. For the average player, there tends to become a point where you either move on (for awhile or for good, depending on how much you enjoyed the game to begin with) or you force yourself to trudge along for awhile even though the game is no longer as fun for you as it was when everything was new and waiting to be explored. A player at this point tends to either...
  • Live for each new update because that's all they really have anymore and when the updates don't come frequently enough or are not something that they, personally, like they have a habit of letting others know about it (in a very loud and/or frustrated manner).
  • Blame the game for it not being as good as it was when they started. While, sure, sometimes games spiral down bad paths, games that don't, still get a lot of complaints from long time players. The reason for that is that everyone mostly likes to think of their initial introduction to a game as the best time in a game's history for the aforementioned reasons involving it being new, unexplored, mysterious, and all that. In a few years, there are usually new people saying the best time was when people were making the same complaint because that's when they happened to start...and the cycle just goes on and on until the game goes away.
Now, again, sometimes that can be a legitimate complaint, but it's also natural. You want that experience of a large, unexplored world back and not only can't you have it back but, at a certain point, whatever game you are playing won't be able to come up with enough new updates geared towards you and you will have felt like you've done most everything. So, you move on and maybe search for a new, fresh, mysterious game that can excite you for the same reasons. But, the great part of building ever-expanding worlds is that when/if you get those reminiscent feelings for a game, and you come back to it for awhile, there tends to be a lot of fresh, new content to sink your teeth into.

Unfortunately, though, some people tend to feel like online games, especially, should hold their interest forever. After all, they've devoted time to it and achieved all these viral belongings and accomplishments which mean something to them. So when the time comes to move on, they fight it and sometimes it gets to the point where they stay so long that they blame the game for all their woes, develop extremely negative feelings toward it, and in some cases won't leave until they've grown to absolutely hate the game when that could have easily been avoided by knowing when to move on.

There are makers of these online games who like to feed into this because it's profitable. They like to do anything possible to encourage players to keep at it for the longest time possible by dangling carrots over their heads. They don't really care if you're still having fun or not, they just want you to run on their treadmill and achieve, achieve, achieve. Eventually, the average person burns out and since we're not trying to fleece any money off of you we're honest about it and recommend that you don't stay any longer than it is fun for you (whenever that may be). We're going to keep trying to add things to make it fun, we're going to keep building, we're going to keep tinkering, we're going to keep trying to expand the replay value but, if at any point you're bored, I'm happy to wish you well in finding something that you can enjoy. At best, I hope you check back to see what we've been up to at some point and maybe stick around for awhile. But I'm not going to dangle carrots.