Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Wyvern Help
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Today's Posts

Wyvern Help Ask, answer, and provide information regarding the game or forum.

Old 06-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Player Mod

Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default RD tips

here's some tips for all you wannabe RDers

Memorize your aliases
making aliases are fun, but if you just alias the whole keyboard, because you think running around in a circle is a cool alias, remember where you put it, because in an RD running around in a circle (from an alias) is not a cool thing.

Make important aliases easy to get to
I RD with my left hand on the far left of the keyboard, and my right hand on numpad.

here are some important aliases I use while RDing

Left hand aliases
` loot corpse; loot corpse 2
1 cast heal/cast mana shield
2 cure blindness/apply unicorn horn
3 drink potion of mana
s get
d cast teleport

shift.` apply fire resist scroll/cast fire resist
shift.1 apply cold resist scroll/cast cold resist
shift.2 apply shock resist scroll/cast shock resist
shift.3 drink free action pot/cast free action
shift.4 drink pristmatic shield pot/cast pris shield
shift.5 dispel prismatic
shift.s drink potion of strength/cast strength
shift.q apply flame blade scroll
shift.e (on my mage) cast all enchantments
these are aliased as shift, so I don't accidently tap one of the buttons, and waste one of these resources (or SP).

Right hand aliases
typical numpad movement

numpad-5 apply
numpad_+ dispel confusion
numpad-0 drink full heal, or elixir (depending on charactor)

that's it for numpad (while fighting)

Resists NEEDED while RDing (it's always best to have more, but this is bare min)

25% fire
20% petrification
65% death (if you've over level 25)
20% fear resistance

resists that help
paralysis
slow
confusion (only "100%" really helps)

How to stay alive

if you can't kill something or it takes too long to kill it
DONT ATTACK IT
simple I know, but it works.

monster info

Common Monsters
Xipe- hits about 60 max, fear recoil, and is weak to element damage
medusa - hits about 40 max, casts petrification, and is weak to elements
Armored Titan - hits about 70 max, high AC, cast a decent strength lightning bolt (easy to dodge), weak to fire, high resistance to shock (I maneuver around them because I RD with elec weapons)
Reapers - don't damage at all, Cast a Strong Dray so Dpro amulet is needed(2 rings of G pro needed for people 20-25 that don't have plat), and it is weak to elements

Semi Common monsters
Baby Purple Dragon - Casts most offencive magic spells, hits around 40 with melee (though it's spells hurt more), it is weak to cold I believe.
Ghast - Hits for about 150 max (maybe more), it has paralysis recoil. it is weak to elements
Shoggoth - hits about 80 max (not entirly sure on this number), it has VERY strong acid recoil, it is weak to all elements
Fire shoggoth - hits about 100 max (again not entirly sure on this number), it has VERY strong Fire recoil, it is weak to shock + cold
Wyvern - hits about 40 max, it has a decent strength Dragon Breath, it is weak to shock, and cold
Frost Wyvern - hits about 40 max, it has a decent strength Frost wave, it is weak to Shock, and fire
Monopod - Hits about 200 max if all attacks hit, has a decent strength acid recoil, it cast annoying spells (confusion, and paralysis), it is weak to elements.
Titan - hits about 40 max, cast a decent strength lightning bolt, is weak to fire, and cold.

Also you may occasionally see these monsters in RDs (usually by stairs)
Arch Dracolich
Demon Lord
Beholder
Maralith
Riagor

-helpful Spells
Teleport - Lets you leave the location you are currently in. (usefull at stars when you are ocasionally surrounded by Monos, or Ghasts.)
Glimpse - Lets you see through walls for a short ammount of time (makes it so you can expect what's coming up)

-helpful items
Unicorn horns - Dispels confusion, paralysis, or blindness (if blessed will remove 2 at once)
Portable hole - Lets you press the "E break" for an RD, and go into a black hole of nothingness, so as to regen SP/HP, or uncurse a weapon to switch with a fully repaired one.

Also here are a few rooms you may see along the way
Bee room (self explanitory) - a room full of bees
Pirate room - a room full of pirates with a sand floore
Undead room - a room full of Dracolichs usually, and a few other undead baddies
Orc room - a room with ogres, and orcs
Trap room - a room filled with strong traps, that yeilds a nice item in the middle
Treasure room - a room filled with treasure that is always guarded by a "boss" monster (usually a Titan, or Monopod in deep RDs)

What method of healing you should do if you intend to RD
health under 300 use mana shield
health over 300 spell heal
self explanatory right there

Last edited by Jacksparow : 06-17-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:27 PM

themadhobo has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

May I add:

Glimpse.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:50 PM

patheos has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Glimpse...oh yeah.

Also, I would suggest blink.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:26 PM

OOoh Ooooh and... be awesome. That helps a lot.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Player Mod

Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by patheos View Post
Glimpse...oh yeah.

Also, I would suggest blink.
blink I personally doesn't fine too helpful compared to teleport
Old 06-14-2008, 09:13 PM

Warcow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

RDing doesn't need to be taught, as if the problem isn't bad enough already, we have enough lifeless zombies diving into RD's 24/7....
Old 06-14-2008, 10:06 PM

... problem?
Old 06-15-2008, 01:22 AM

Of course its a problem. These dungeons offer little originality beyond the different wall and floor styles. Look at wyvern, its a marvelous game, why send people down random corridors, through doors, and down more stairs when we have such a wonderful world to explore above?
Old 06-15-2008, 04:13 AM

Crier has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Crier

When people need tens of millions of xp to make one level, there is nothing but a mindless grind left...considering the most xp from a common monster (not DL, AD and all them) is around 6k from a reaper and reapers are ONLY found in RDs, it is a logical choice to spend the grueling hours trying to level.

That is the "why" people do it, and if you want less people to be RD drones, there should be some offering of massive amounts of xp, outside of walking through endless corridors and doorways.

(Please forgive anything that doesn't make sense, it is past 4 am and I just got off of work and a weetle tired)
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both." -Benjamin Franklin
Old 06-15-2008, 10:47 AM

peacemaster has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via MSN to peacemaster

Not bad tips at all, but mostly what you need you will find on your own once you start rding. It alse varies from class to class... If you are a fullhealing giant, you won't need a lot of resists - 1 eprot ring will mostly be all you have for resists. Then again if you are a ranger, you will want high resists, possibly even recoil imunities...
Aliases sure are important, you should make aliases that you are familiar with and try to keep the key ones consistant across your alts. I often shrink because of healing on Peacy just because of this and sometimes it can get close when that happens :-)
Also, one of the key things is loot. You are either to carry a lot of loot or you aren't. If you are, be sure you have enough bags for loot and even better autobag commands. Peacy for example has 10 bags for loot and they get filled in 150 RD lvls or so. I din't get more because I was lazy to rewrite the autobags since they are very long. The other option is to get yourself remove curse and identify spell and sell the loot as you go. This is what them mages and rangers do but it relies heavily on your luck of finding shops. Just get enough strength even if you are a mage to be able to carry some of your loot. maybe 2-3 bags just in case.
And as for the discussion whether rding is right or wrong. Well, if you want xp past 26/27 you will have to RD since most xp is made in the rds. There is no place outside of rds where xp can be made this fast (haven't been to the skull cave for a long time, only went once or twice after it changed and not sure about the xp there now). Untill 26/27 it is possible to lvl outside of rds, but it takes a long time.
And yes, I do realize that this comes from a person who rded a little so it is bias...
Anyway, if you decide you want to RD, the choice of your RD also plays an important role. Some RDs provide more xp than others. In general, the vault RDs are the best, but if you are a mage, you might want to consider vesimas or minath becuse it provides a lot of space to run around. If those are taken, your best choice will probably be varak, magetown and errr forgot the name of that one so nvm.

Last edited by peacemaster : 06-15-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:05 PM

After you've explored much of the game there isn't a whole lot more excitement to be gained beyond running into a demon lord at the bottom of a set of stairs. RDing is fun because it can surprise you. I personally don't like the quest system in wyvern because it too frequently requires obscure commands or too much repetition. Id rather just blast monsters with my fireballs and steal their loot.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:25 PM

I still have fun exploring after this many years. (first started in 02)
Old 06-15-2008, 10:45 PM

randorxeous has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadhobo View Post
After you've explored much of the game there isn't a whole lot more excitement to be gained beyond running into a demon lord at the bottom of a set of stairs.
I may only have been playing since '05 but even now, when I'm on for many hours of the day, there are still places I have yet to find. I promise that every place is way more extensive than it seems. There is tons of excitement, especially if you go explore Arilou, Tesh or Biny maps... Especially Biny Maps.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:55 PM

Oh, I know its all very extensive. I just prefer a challenging RD to a sprawling map with a story. The only thing that makes RDs more fun, is when I can get other people to go with me, thats the most fun part of MUDs for me. The dungeon parts.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Forum Admin

Binyamin has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crier View Post
When people need tens of millions of xp to make one level, there is nothing but a mindless grind left...considering the most xp from a common monster (not DL, AD and all them) is around 6k from a reaper and reapers are ONLY found in RDs, it is a logical choice to spend the grueling hours trying to level.
You are sorely mistaken if you believe that my reapers are ONLY found in RDs. P'raps you should be one of those players who needs to get their heads out of the sand (as in RD) and explore the wild world of Wyvern.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:35 AM

Is there a place where I can get 2 million xp from just 2 hours, solely off of reapers? Or is my head still in the sand when it comes to this?
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both." -Benjamin Franklin
Old 06-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Forum Admin

Binyamin has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

You tell me, non-exploring person.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:35 PM

I would wager that such a place would be deemed "Unbalanced" and thus not exist.

Last edited by Crier : 06-16-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:27 PM

Warcow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binyamin View Post
You are sorely mistaken if you believe that my reapers are ONLY found in RDs. P'raps you should be one of those players who needs to get their heads out of the sand (as in RD) and explore the wild world of Wyvern.

Hmm...I haven't seen many of them except in caged places on display... guess I have my head in the sand too...
Old 06-16-2008, 04:34 PM

randorxeous has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Hey guys? Who created the Reaper? Biny. What wizard's map would have Reapers on them? Biny. I think Biny would know if there was a good map.

/And now I'm off to find some of those places...