Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Wyvern Help
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wyvern Help Ask, answer, and provide information regarding the game or forum.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:45 PM

thepixie has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Naga Archer Build

[This post was originally in the Coven's forums, but since the forum is new with not many members yet, I thought I will share this with a larger audience for helpful comments and feedback.]

Whilst most players play naga monk, paladin, or fire/water mage, all race builds are playable - to be politically correct. This includes the elusive Naga Archer. In this "brief" post, I shall elucidate the special traits and the ways to train a naga archer.

People have often ridiculed my suggestion of a naga archer at first. I understand. I shall never make a naga archer myself. Thepixie is and will be my only character. But for those of you who like a challenge, I have the credentials to speak with wisdom on this subject.

Past people who tried playing this special build have either gotten bored or entered an exp sink. This is understandable. Most of these players did not find challenging and high reward places in their explorations, the best training grounds for a naga archer. Or they may have entered a compromising situation eg connection problems.

Below is a list of skills to train and what to fight at every 5 levels. (Assume it is common knowledge to train every 5 levels for a skill for efficiency.) Disclaimer: I have included directions to some of the presently non-sensitive training spots. If in the future, when any of the following information should become classified. It is my wish to have this post promptly removed.

Lvl1
-Train healing in the Tutorial Tower.
-Buy some healing potions and some torches. Enter the crooked path (Southeast from the Main crossroads above the gates of New Verden). Find the anthills and go down to the last level. The ant pupas are around 50 exp each. Explore in the newcomer dungeons, Davos, and Amita.
-When you are level 4, you are permitted to leave the north gates out into the world map. There are particular easy loot spots such as the first crumbling tower in oxbow. (It has a random spellbook on the third floor.) Another one in oxbow is the thieves hideout. (Enter Robin's tent.) Do not waste valuable time looting a spot guarded by a spell casting monster (eg tower in the ruins of Ghanar Fyr).
-Auction the spellbooks to other players for gold.

Lvl5
-Train 5 range, 5 merchant, 4 healing. (around 37500 gold)
-Trained skills: 5 range, 5 merchant, 5 healing.
-Drink an invisibility potion (500 gold). It lasts till log or game reboot. Find elven wizards in minath or macabre (east of rakshasa harmyasa through a portion underwater).
-Identify and sell the loot to a shop.

Lvl10
-Train 5 range, 2 meditation, 3 lore, 5 spirit travel. (around 80k gold) The reason for spirit travel is that it is very probable that you will experience a death. Having 5 spirit travel reduces the experience loss by a half.
-Trained skills:10 range, 5 merchant, 2 meditation, 5 spirit, 3 lore, 5 spirit travel, 5 healing.
-At this level, please do the archer quest.
-Start collecting arrows of returning. Target the shogs with slay demon arrows and the dragons with slay dragon arrows. Adjust the specified arrows to 0 when appropriate. Cast mana shield and some fast 40% resists, when fighting dragons eg red dragons in a blacksmith's basement. Ideally you should never get close enough for the monsters to see you. Use the spell wizard eye for targetting accuracy. Do not attempt skulls and small spellcasting monsters yet. (They are difficult to target and their spells are dangerous.)

Lvl15
-Train 5 range, 5 spirit, 5 sneaking. (120k - inclusive of the guild cost.)
-Trained skills: 15 range, 5 merchant, 2 meditation, 5 spirit, 3 lore, 5 spirit travel, 5 sneaking, 5 healing.
-As a naga, you can breath underwater fine. A good training place is ocean tours.

Lvl20
-Train 5 range, 5 meditation, 5 life.
-Trained skills: 20 range, 5 merchant, 7 meditation, 5 spirit, 3 lore, 5 life, 5 spirit travel, 5 sneaking, 5 healing.
-Wear 2 greater protection items eg ring or cloak. Wear an amulet of death protection as well. Enter an RD and target reapers and medusas with shock and slay demon arrows for exp, xipes with slay undead arrows. The good RDs for reapers include Almien and Ghanar Fyr. In both RDs, there is less space for large monsters such as xipes or ghasts, less likely to crowd around the stairs.
-Some high risk/reward areas but not limited to these: Hades in Oxbow, the ruins in Ghanar Fyr, anywhere else with Large Monsters that can be availed outside the monster's vision.
-Be sure to buy some agility items such as robe, cloak, hat, and gloves.

Lvl25
-Train what you like.

Hopefully this post brings light upon the naga archer build from a non-naga non-archer player perspective. The many special advantages of the naga archer is for you to discover. I hope you enjoyed this.

-thepixie

Last edited by thepixie : 04-19-2008 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:14 PM

Penny has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via MSN to Penny

I think the hardest part would be the naga's tail. They won't be able to get as many angles all the time with their tail in the way.

ANd if a level fifteen archer trains in ocean tours they'll get ***ed without invisibility, so if anyone wants to try this then just make sure you're invisible so the fishies don't beat you up too much. And they can see limited invisibility, so keep a good distance.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:01 AM

I agree with Penny with the naga's problematic tail. A creative solution I envision is shifting into cobra to become 1 by 1. A cobra also breathes underwater.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:18 AM

Cobras can't ready bows though... or can they? O.o
I know they can't wield weapons.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:28 AM

Cobras can ready the bow.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepixie View Post
Cobras can ready the bow.
Oh, for real? Then I guess it wouldn't be a problem.
But they still can't wear perfect archer rings. :/ The extra skills can make a big difference.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:04 AM

Iro has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny View Post
Oh, for real? Then I guess it wouldn't be a problem.
But they still can't wear perfect archer rings. :/ The extra skills can make a big difference.
Would you rather have +6 Ranged and not be able to put it to use?
Old 04-21-2008, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silico View Post
Would you rather have +6 Ranged and not be able to put it to use?
You can put it to use, just tuck in your tail.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:04 PM

Crier has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Crier

Train in Reaper full RDs huh?

Am I the only one seeing a problem here?
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both." -Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-23-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crier View Post
Train in Reaper full RDs huh?

Am I the only one seeing a problem here?
You're just the only one who doesn't know the solution, apparently, lol.
My archer can kill reapers easy.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:41 PM

Jessikha has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny View Post
You're just the only one who doesn't know the solution, apparently, lol.
My archer can kill reapers easy.
I'm actually going to agree with Penny on this one. Flaming arrows (the archer exclusive ones) or ember arrows will cut through reapers pretty quickly. They pose no real threat other than needing an alias to switch arrow types or something. I'm not actually sure how you switch types of arrows quickly, so if someone could explain that, that'd be awesome.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:41 PM

Crier has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Crier

Switch arrows by moving your quivers around, just use an alias.

But my problem with the whole Reaper heavy RDs is...that well they are reaper HEAVY.

I'm sure one or two are no problem but for a level 20-something when you get to the levels where there are three or four per room doing their little blink trick of theirs they wouold become more then a hand full for archers, but maybe thats just me, because I don't like too run too much....perhaps why my mage sucks....
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both." -Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-26-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessikha View Post
I'm actually going to agree with Penny on this one. Flaming arrows (the archer exclusive ones) or ember arrows will cut through reapers pretty quickly. They pose no real threat other than needing an alias to switch arrow types or something. I'm not actually sure how you switch types of arrows quickly, so if someone could explain that, that'd be awesome.
You're right. I have an alias for moving arrows around my inventory and taking them out of my quiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crier View Post
Switch arrows by moving your quivers around, just use an alias.

But my problem with the whole Reaper heavy RDs is...that well they are reaper HEAVY.

I'm sure one or two are no problem but for a level 20-something when you get to the levels where there are three or four per room doing their little blink trick of theirs they wouold become more then a hand full for archers, but maybe thats just me, because I don't like too run too much....perhaps why my mage sucks....
I don't really see the problem in that situation either. I like reaper heavy RDs. Do you run out of ember/flaming arrows or something? Reapers don't have any melee attacks, right? So even if you do run out of arrows, just run and go get them, and the worst thing that can happen is getting drayed, and dray is easy to dodge as long as you're not a giant. And since reapers don't have any melee attacks (as far as I know) you could probably right them in melee range, lol. That way you could smack them and shoot arrows at the same time too. ^_^ Although you'd get your xp drained...

Last edited by Penny : 04-26-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:59 AM

Jessikha has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Reapers have a pretty strong cold recoil; nothing major, but enough to cause issues without resists. That aside, the only problem with running up to get arrows would be the death ray; below level 25, it can kill you even with DPro ammy. By running up, you lose your safe distance from that.

It's a small risk, but still a risk nonetheless. Of course, this is all moot as long as you bring enough flaming/ember arrows. I think arrows of slay demon might work too, I'm not sure.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessikha View Post
Reapers have a pretty strong cold recoil; nothing major, but enough to cause issues without resists. That aside, the only problem with running up to get arrows would be the death ray; below level 25, it can kill you even with DPro ammy. By running up, you lose your safe distance from that.

It's a small risk, but still a risk nonetheless. Of course, this is all moot as long as you bring enough flaming/ember arrows. I think arrows of slay demon might work too, I'm not sure.
Oh really? I never knew that.
And yes, arrows of slay demon work on them, but I heard they didn't work very well, lol.