Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Suggestions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Suggestions Post any suggestions for new Wyvern content here that is too complicated to explain in the idea log or that you want to first get feedback on from other players.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:41 PM

Hamel has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default More silly suggestions from Hamel.

Idea #1: Exploration counter.

Just what it says, some command that tells you the amount of maps and the percentage of maps in wyvern you have visited. (perhaps excluding quest areas?)

If it's possible it would be nice if there were some kind of rewards for exploring more maps, I'm thinking a score board to list the top explorers and the amount of maps they have visited.

Maybe even some titles such as: trotter, trekker, explorer. Stuff like that. Now, I know what your thinking, what about the other titles such as 'hall of famer' and guild titles? That's where my next idea comes in. =)

Idea #2: Secondary titles.

Again, what it says. Titles that are perhaps listed under your description when the 'who' command is used? Then perhaps with a short description after the title explaining a little of what it means. So it might look a little like this:

Bubba the Stone Giant Hall of Famer (level 34) (Lionheart)
Wyvern player since 07/16/09
Bubba the crusher of elves.
Trekker (explored 250+ maps)
Top Giant (highest on the top giants list)
Money bags (highest on the richest players list)
Legend (level 30+)
Quester (200+ QP)
Elf bane (killed 1000+ elves)

Okay, maybe Bubba has acquired a lot of titles, some of them a bit silly. But you get the idea.

I don't know why I even post any suggestions in here, it's not like any are used. But I do. o.O
Old 11-01-2008, 11:40 PM

Logwad has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Logwad Send a message via MSN to Logwad

I'm curious about Bubba's stats. Is that 1000 different elves, or might they possibly be the same one over and over and over again.

Last edited by Logwad : 11-02-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:28 AM

Different ones I suspect, I wonder if it would count player elves. :/
Old 12-06-2008, 04:16 PM

Icy has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

+Comment:

As I've played (Wyvern being my first/only game, not a hardcore gamer in any aspect), I've never really seen the need for extra titles. Name, Guild, HoF/not, etc., good enough. Trekker - not bad, ish. Elf-bane? Complicated. You'd have to define whether those would be 1000 elves in different maps, just 1000 elves...etc.

As for those that have to do with List of <this>, and list of <that>, I say just look at the lists.

</stupid, late, useless reply>
Old 12-06-2008, 05:58 PM

Two letters Icy, R P. Unnecessary bits are what make a game great.

Besides, idea #2 makes idea #1 possible.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:26 PM

-shrug- I realize that, but it's what's too unnecessary as opposed to good-unnecessary. That said, don't rely on my opinion
Old 12-09-2008, 09:20 AM

rilian has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via MSN to rilian

The extra titles would be cool, I like this idea. It would be nice for there to be some other proof of my eplorations other than countrysides littered with my gravestones, for once.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:15 PM

firecaster has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Thumbs up

As stated by the dog, exploring is decided by questing (and the many gravestones) a player has been through. why not give perks to those who have visited x amount of towns or x amount of monster arenas or x amount of steps taken or...there are endless add ons of the such that could be added but the coding for it might be the tricky/reason it is not in effect now.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:37 PM
Player Mod

Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

The Idea is great, but their is a small problem to this. It would require a ton of coding. Which most wizards don't have the time to do. especially Rhialto; Who is the only active person (to my knowledge) with access to core code.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:03 AM

themadhobo has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

An easy solution to the "loads of coding" would be to make an item and hide it in every zone. The item would twinkle if dropped, but not if you log out and it would have no weight so it's not a burden. Titles could be awarded based on the number of these hidden items you find. It could even be a bit similar to currency, and there could just be a flag set on each character for each zone true or false if they've found the piece in that zone.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:04 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadhobo View Post
An easy solution to the "loads of coding" would be to make an item and hide it in every zone. The item would twinkle if dropped, but not if you log out and it would have no weight so it's not a burden. Titles could be awarded based on the number of these hidden items you find. It could even be a bit similar to currency, and there could just be a flag set on each character for each zone true or false if they've found the piece in that zone.
Zone? What is a zone?
Twinkle if dropped and not if log out = new code, current code can do the opposite and is core code requiring arch wizards.
Titles based on # of items= new code that checks player file at intervals = arch wizard
Zones again, what is a zone?
Bottom line, this stuff requires our generally inactive Arch Wizards to be more active as blackbeard just told you.
Im guessing you probably don't know the game very well yet, so spend some more time getting to know Wyvern then ideas will be easier and make more sense.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:56 PM

You know what the saying about assuming makes us...

Twinkling if dropped, but not logged out is not new code but modified old code. Even though I know nothing that is said here will ever be implemented, it does not make me a fool. I'm certain if a trusted wizard asked for a section of old code to modify in order to implement a new, similar effect it could be done.

Titles based on # of items would be an easy check, like titles based on character level, or guild membership. Once again, a modification of old code to create a new and similar effect.

Zones can be defined by the person who creates an area. For example, a quest created by a wizard could be called one zone if the wizard wished, and they could choose to place an item somewhere within the quest area. Another example of a possible zone is Binyamin's Oxbow River Sanctuary. That is something that could be loosely defined either by the creators of areas, or by the creator of the item that is to be placed.

I understand that arch wizards are inactive most of the time, what I don't understand is why people who want to be developers can't team up and work together. A situation alike to a student writing a journal with a professor. The student does the grunt work, e.g. inputting data, writing mundane lines of code, discerning what sections of old code do in order to manipulate them to work smoothly and accurately. The professor perfects the students work, while spending less time and providing a higher quality of work.

I know you'll just say "That's not how we do things here" but that doesn't mean its not an option. Wyvern is dying as an online game, and one reason is because it does not adapt over time. When it comes to generating code, team work has become necessity to finish large projects in short amounts of time. The day of a single lone programmer cranking out code by himself is dead.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:46 PM

"Wyvern is dying" again. This sounds a little like Wikipedia's RfA...

"It's dying, it's broken..." "No, it's not. It's the attitude." "But..." "And..." Etc... It's not going to get us anywhere. Are you saying that there should be more developers? Are you complaning about arch wizards? I'm not saying that you're wrong in any sense, note.

Titles based on # of titles = fail, IMHO.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
You know what the saying about assuming makes us...

Twinkling if dropped, but not logged out is not new code but modified old code. Even though I know nothing that is said here will ever be implemented, it does not make me a fool. I'm certain if a trusted wizard asked for a section of old code to modify in order to implement a new, similar effect it could be done.

Titles based on # of items would be an easy check, like titles based on character level, or guild membership. Once again, a modification of old code to create a new and similar effect.

Zones can be defined by the person who creates an area. For example, a quest created by a wizard could be called one zone if the wizard wished, and they could choose to place an item somewhere within the quest area. Another example of a possible zone is Binyamin's Oxbow River Sanctuary. That is something that could be loosely defined either by the creators of areas, or by the creator of the item that is to be placed.

I understand that arch wizards are inactive most of the time, what I don't understand is why people who want to be developers can't team up and work together. A situation alike to a student writing a journal with a professor. The student does the grunt work, e.g. inputting data, writing mundane lines of code, discerning what sections of old code do in order to manipulate them to work smoothly and accurately. The professor perfects the students work, while spending less time and providing a higher quality of work.

I know you'll just say "That's not how we do things here" but that doesn't mean its not an option. Wyvern is dying as an online game, and one reason is because it does not adapt over time. When it comes to generating code, team work has become necessity to finish large projects in short amounts of time. The day of a single lone programmer cranking out code by himself is dead.
You obviously totally missed what I said. We do not have arch wizards to implement this stuff. While you may think the day of a single programmer is dead, that is exactly what Wyvern core code has and the rest of us do not have access to it to do anything. So until Rhialto decides he wants to work on Wyvern code, making new or adjusting old it's not going to happen. It has nothing to do with its not how we do it around here, it has to do with the way Rhialto does things around here. *Shrug*

And titles in general are not going to happen for any reason until, once again, Rhialto fixes the long name bug thats been around for over 4 years. The last thing we need is something else to mess up players screens more than they already get.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:39 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

And in addition to what Teshuvah said, you're quibbling over semantics. Modifying old code to do what you described involves writing new code to add to it. So, stop trying to play this old code/new code game. What Teshuvah said was completely accurate and why you've made this big thing out of it by trying to twist it around, I do not know. You would've done better to simply try to say that while, yes, it involves new code, it doesn't need to be done completely from scratch as there is pre-existing code to work with. We then would've explained to you what Teshuvah just said above about it not mattering how little work needed to be done (although, this is more complicated than you make it out to be) as we require active arch wizards to impliement such things and, as I've said in other threads, we're going through a period where Rhialto is largely inactive, but has plans to find ways to change that down the road. I understand that you do not like the system where everything goes through him, but Wyvern is not open source. It's his game and like it or not, this is how he set it up and this is how he wants it to remain. In the meantime, this idea can be filed away to consider at a later date when it might be more feasible.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:36 AM

Complexity is relative. Anyways, the game isn't closed source. It isn't open source either. Anyone who has ever downloaded it has full access to all client side code. Likewise, only those given proper permission have access to the server side code.

Regardless, I agree that this one might as well be filed away with the rest in the "Maybe later" list.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:50 AM
Forum Admin

Quote:
Complexity is relative.
As Teshuvah pointed out, there is more that needs to be done in order for it to be possible which you had not considered/were unaware of. Thus, it is indeed more complicated than you make it out to be and claiming that "complexity is relative" in response to me saying that is absurd - In addition to new code for dealing with what happens with items when they're dropped and new code to handle monitoring items/setting titles based on them, titles in general have to be fixed. That's a client problem and so, in order to fix it Rhialto would have to update the client. But, knowing Rhialto, he's not going to do that over one issue. He's going to finish his plans for writing a new client and hopefully remember to fix that with a host of other issues. All of which will take quite a bit of time and isn't something Rhialto has on his table right now. Thus my saying it's more complicated of an issue than you think.

Quote:
Anyways, the game isn't closed source. It isn't open source either. Anyone who has ever downloaded it has full access to all client side code. Likewise, only those given proper permission have access to the server side code.
Irrevelent. Rhialto allows, encourages, and has written a document to assist people in creating their own clients. That has nothing to do with how the game's core code is treated. Further more, giving select people permission to have access to the game's code doesn't make it any less closed source. The core code is very much closed, while the game allows wizards to create their own code that they can do with what they please. Which is due to the fact that wizards own anything they upload into their wizard directories.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:59 PM

Default A little more on topic...

Idea #3 : Dispel magic (spirit magic dart spell).

A spell, which depending on rather or not it is successful, dispels magical enchantments cast on the person you shoot with it. Chances of success depend on the spirit magic of the caster, and on the respective element of the spell which the dispel magic spell was trying to dispel. The lower their element, and the higher your spirit magic, the higher chance of success.

This spell would be interesting if added in with the previously mentioned "silence" spell. And I restate my wishes that there would be artifact weapons enchanted with these spells. Like, "Magebane"-(dispel magic on touch) and maybe "The Axe of Silence"-(generates a silence field around and on the wielder).

Rods of dispel magic might be useful for meleers, and the spell itself would be very useful for mages, for dispelling resists and mana shields. I can also imagine ammunition of dispel magic, like throwing weapons (axeman only?) and arrows (archer only?), expensive stuff no doubt.

It, being a mostly PK centric spell, obviously should not effect permanent enchantments, such as +# items. But most certainly should effect spells like magic whip, blade spells, mana shield, regeneration, resists, flying, strength and berserk.

Idea #4: Poisoned weaponry (rogue only).

Daggers and throwing knifes, imbued with very powerful poisons. Nuff said.

Idea #5: Stealth (ability).

Simply type "stealth" to activate it, and you will become invisible. An invisibility that cannot be seen with a see invisible spell, because you're not really invisible, more like hidden.

Stealth would probably have some kind of skill affiliated with it (maybe sneaking?). Rogues and halflings would probably get a significant bonus to it. Halflings would lose their ability to go invisible upon implementation of this idea.

Detection would probably be determined by the distance from any other creature (they would only detect you if they were in your screen, the closer they are to you the more likely you'll get caught), the level of the other creature or creatures, and rather or not they had some sort of magic aiding their detection.

People who are in the same group as you would see you rather you are hidden or not, you would only appear blurred, like the way you see invisible people now.

If you were detected by one creature you suddenly become unhidden to all creatures (unless there's some way of doing this differently), you would not be detected by people in the same group, so you would not be spotted and thus would remain hidden. Also, when I say "creature" I mean both MOBs and players.

If could be a way of lowering the chance of being caught if everyone else was looking away, that would also work well here.

Idea #6: Backstabbing (yes, I know it's been suggested before, just not like this)

If you attacked something while hidden, you would get a large damage multiplication effect on your first attack. You would only get one backstabbing attack, because you become unhidden when you attack something.

There should probably be some way of increasing the amount it is multiplied by. Another skill, perhaps?
Old 04-16-2009, 06:44 PM

pan has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

*sniff* I smell "Achievements". Let's look. In fact, let's look... out of order.

First off, idea four, poisoned weapons? I know of at least one already in the game. Maybe two if snake-whip does poison like I suspect.
Idea five, stealth... sounds like being invisible with sneaking. Stuff can't see you, 'nuff said.

Idea three would be interesting to use on certain monsters that have buffing spells (Or summons. Mwhaha), but the PK effects I could rather care less about, since I don't pk. Much luck in that though :P

Backstabbing... eh. How can we really tell if we sneak up on them or not? Monsters are pretty omnipotent, if you're behind three ways but within their walking range they can see and find you. I know sneaking reduces that, but still. With some work that might seem more plausible.

An exploration counter would be cool, but I'd love to see it more with certain... shall we say... circumstances... that I know aren't possible, so I won't voice those. Assuming it to be exactly as you said, awesome, I'm all for it, minus the titles maybe.

Speaking of that, extra titles. Ugh. I'm all for doing things, but after a certain point you're taking the "fun" of it out and making it a chore to get some inane rank. However, should my opinion, as that's all this is, get disregarded and such to be considered, I'd recommend a secondary command beyond "who" to see the titles, lest we worry about spamming people by checking "who blahblahblah" just to see good ol' Blahblahblah's description. Maybe a "titlewho blahblahblah". Yeah, off the top of my head command idea sucks. So what?

Anyway, those are just my replies to your ideas, and now if you don't mind, I have one of my own I'd love to see in.

If anyone here plays Kingdom of Loathing, you'll know exactly what I mean. What I'd love to see, is a literacy test you must pass before being allowed to use shouts. Absolutely basic, nothing more complicated than proving you know where the shift key and punctuation are on your keyboard, but it would hopefully help those of us who, like me, die a little inside every time they have to read "i wuz in da map b4 h--- bah. It's hurting me just to type like that. Anyway, yes. Literacy test, love to see it.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:55 PM
Forum Admin

Here: http://web.archive.org/web/200609012...m/database.txt Do a search for "backstab." To answer your question simply, Pan, Rhialto's idea to make it possible involves sleeping monsters. Which already exist in the game - They were put in when sneaking was introduced, you just don't see it often since you can't get a lot of skill points in sneaking.