Thread: Abyss
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Player Mod

Rarkvar has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
Maybe by risking death ray, your team would be willing to return the favor and risk it in a similar battle, somewhere else in the game where the boss monster drops something that would be highly valuable to you.
That's not my point. My point is most boss type monsters do not normally have any resistance to cut, stab, or smash damage. The boss idea is not bad, I just find it highly unfair that two out of three forms are immune to magic.

Like I said, I would not consider fighting a boss and resisting everyone else if I could die instantly with no reward. Take death ray out of the equation. I still would not do it. In the time it would take to kill the boss monster I could have gotten plenty of other experience elsewhere. It would be very boring and unrewarding is my point. If I was so worried about death penalties, I would just hang back in the room before the boss room. That isn't as big of an issue.

What if the boss had one phase/form instead of three. Except for the boss has the ability to summon diamond golem type monsters (mage immunity) and a type of elemental golem that was immune to every melee type of damage? Then set the bosses resistance to 60% against melee and 30% to each element. Any melee character that is any good will have find weakness, which explains why the melee resistance is higher. Keep the same recoil as well, and maybe substitute death ray for earthquake. Beef up the bosses hp and ac so the fight will last longer. Now the boss is mainly a group boss (still solo-able, like Binyamins Failure). Both mage and melee classes can now fight the boss equally rather than the mage's cheering the meleer's on from the sidelines like they usually are.

As far as the rewards are concerned, throw in some mage rewards as well to encourage them to participate. The only mages I could see helping out with something like this is maybe Zevran, who otherwise would be sitting in MAH.