View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 04:13 PM

Tudwal has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Eye Clerics and Religion

The one traditional character choice that Wyvern lacks is a cleric. There certainly could be, but perhaps not in the traditional sense of healing and blunt weapons. I'm just tossing out ideas here, so feel free to reply with others.

1. Clerics could train in staff weapons, one of the two working guild-less weapons.

2. As has already been established ad nauseam in another thread, life magic is rather pointless to train in (aside from summoning). A cleric in Wyvern could achieve full heal and just heal others, but that is little different from any full healing fighter.

3. If we have clerics, then we should have deities. I think we should use the pantheon of gods which are already in the game -- the Norse gods in Asgard. You could theoretically make-up a whole new set of gods, but then you would have to explain why the new gods are the real ones and the Norse are has-beens.

3. Wyvern could also borrow (again) from Crossfire and use a similar system of religion. Each god could have a temple or two in various places around Wyvern. Each god would grant their clerics certain spells, abilities, and/or items. Crossfire uses the spell "holy word" which damages certain monsters which are considered the god's "enemies." This way, the cleric could use religion in an offensive way. You could also have certain trainable skills behind the religious abilities and spells, which would retain the same need for planning out a cleric's skillset that anyone else has.

I do realize that adding clerics to the game, however it was done, would involve a lot of coding and wizardly work, but since we're dreaming....