View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 02:29 AM

Burba has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkon View Post
There aren't many players around as games like this aren't very popular. Because:

1) It isn't 3D with flashy graphics
2) Gameplay is a bit more complex than just mousing around
3) There are many bugs that make gameplay somewhat cumbersome. Specially for new players who are unaware of some of them.

We don't expect 2-300 players (if the server could even handle it)
I don't deny that there are many gamers that play only Halo. However, there are gamers who don't play only Halo, or maybe even don't like FPS games. In fact, I had never played an FPS until I played Counter-strike several years after it came out. I mainly played online games. Most of them were horrible, bug-ridden, and very ugly, yet somehow maintained a respectable population. But that was years ago, before WoW even, and I don't keep up with online games anymore. There is, however, one shining example that there is a niche audience for games that lack casual appeal or even grace.

This example is Dwarf Fortress. I became addicted to Dwarf Fortress recently. As far as I can tell, it is very popular and has a fanatical following. At the same time, it's built completely opposite of how a successful game should be. The presentation is truly spartan with worse graphics than Wyvern. That alone should turn off most gamers, but if it doesn't then shouldn't the huge learning curve? Amazingly, it continues to attract new players.

So maybe there is an audience that doesn't care about graphics and are not only willing to learn a complex game, but enjoy doing so. If this is the case, then perhaps the blame should be shifted away from Wyvern's superficial aspects.