Thread: Archers extinct
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 03:24 PM

Burba has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I don't have any experience with archers, so I'm just BSing, but if I were to play an archer I'd definitely use teleport. My experience has been that many maps are cramped with swarming monsters. Not being able to teleport out of a tight place could easily be deadly. On the other hand, teleport doesn't work everywhere and you can always choose maps that are better suited for ranged combat. I'd combine teleport with the heal spell and the heal spell with mana shield pots. This will hurt your resists, though, since you won't be able to use any DSM. Casting your own resists may be viable, but you'd have to be a halfling and it would take a lot of skill points. Scrolls are good in certain circumstances, but constantly using them is a bad idea. Maybe throwing on a DSM and praying you don't bungle ten times in a row (it's happened to me before with a single bungling item) is your best option, at least for some areas.
Here's a quick halfling archer skillset that probably won't work:
25 ranged
15 incantation
5 enchantment
10 lore
10 life
5 fire
20 meditation
10 strength

Before I'd play an archer, though, I'd probably be a halfling in a melee guild with ranged skill trained. As Hamel said, there are circumstances where being able to shoot things from a distance would come in handy when you're a fragile meleer. Ranged damage would suffer from the already poor damage that a straight archer does, but it's definitely a better option than dying and possibly a better option than trying to lure the monster so you can get by it.
Here's a halfling paladin skillset that could work:
25 swords
25 ranged
12 healing
20 meditation
8 strength
8 find weakness
2 merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitsey View Post
mana shield and invis pots (and free action) are consistently findable many at a time so that's no problem. The scrolls aren't (that I know of) and they all look the same so you have to walk over every scroll in the room...
http://cabochon.com/player/commands#list
It's a very handy command.