View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 03:16 AM

Matalino has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Hey sorry for bringing up an old topic. I just thought that I should return the answer and provide any other helpful ideas to everyone else.

Mine is currently still in the works. From the last time I played him (which has been awhile, its been a busy year), he's gained 3 levels. So far I've been running through the pirate's cave gathering junk and selling it.

Some realizations:
1) Get Merchant skill. I've heard good things about getting this and I think I'll give it a try. Its not fun making under 1k per gathering run with so many items and skills to train.

2) While strength is good, if you're gathering small items, you will most likely run out of space before you reach the first step of encumbered. The strength spell is very nice, but sometimes the issue has been reaching the item limit as opposed to being stuck. I still don't know how much strength affects damage.

3) Having life means that you're practically a summoner. Since they're is no attack spell above Sandstorm and below the Petrify, you're a meleer with summons.

4) I've yet to fool around with the changes to healing. One thing that has popped into my mind is the importance of Fortress and even using Create Dirt Wall. Anything that can now create barriers or impediments to monsters seems like a brilliant idea to heal and even protect oneself from spells. Also, does anyone know if healing gets interrupted if your attacked or if the target is? If latter, block the place with a summon and a fortress, then spam heal your monster or group member?

5) I'm currently trying to figure out what else to use my Lore points on. I haven't grabbed as many resist spells, though that can be a good idea. As far as spells other than healing and summoning, I find Light to be nice to have, especially mixed with glowstones or lanterns. I rarely fight undead as often, so I don't use Lifeblade as much. I'm not sure if it really does anything anyway.

6) As far as Earth spells go. I've been thinking to be functional, Summon Monster is best bet, but requires more life. To be more thematic, I want to use Summon Golem for fun, but I don't know how well that would work.

7) Anyone know how effective using Imprison and how increasing Earth affects it? If it makes stronger dirt walls, I can see how an Earth mage will excel at creating choke points for you and a summon to fight.

Overall. There's been some struggles. One, not having any higher selection of weapons is frustrating. Two, grinding out money and grinding out exp. Finding those locations are hard especially since I find it easy going to the wrong place, getting crushed, and being set back tons of exp. If you're going to do Fire instead of Earth or Life, you're in for a good deal. Earth is practically buffing, early evocation, though there are some fun other spells that I've yet to try out.

In terms of spellcasting. There's not much except buff, summon (hmm, can summon's be buffed?), and find/create choke points. Run away to heal and return to the fray. If you have Fire, then you have the bonus of having a strong Fire Blade and fun firey infernos to chuck around. If you wanted, summons to boot too.

So, I think you'll probably have a good time with yours. Since the summer is approaching, I'll probably be having fun trying mine. Otherwise, I'm trying to explore the world with a human Water/Air mage just to see what else there is and come up with ideas for places to level the Earth/Life/Staffer.

Anyway, hopefully this is an intriguing read and found useful.