View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014, 08:08 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
Don't try and tell me you have never had a typo.
Typically, when I make a typo or phrase something incorrectly and that leads someone to believe something that I didn't intend, I see that from their reply and then make a reply of my own to correct them. You did not do this. Instead you said something like; "Hahaha! You guyz dont get me," indicating that you were in fact doing what they were saying you were doing.

Quote:
And seriously, I've probably read more than my mom and dad together, so don't even bother with the
They must not read very much then.

Quote:
'Apparently the same laziness that prevents you from rereading something you said in the past, makes you unwilling to fully read anything that is longer than a paragraph.', you guys are so busy criticizing me you don't realize how stupid some of the things you say sound.
You have said you were too lazy to read things multiple times. Not just in regards to the last 7 pages, but after I made a couple of multi paragraph replies. So what am I supposed to think? If you're now going to claim the reason you were "too lazy" to read those things is because they were critical of you, why even bother to keep replying? Do you know what I do when I don't want to read someone's reply? I don't say anything because I know I cannot make an informed response.

Quote:
Maybe if you actually tried Game Maker, you would know what you were talking about? As I said, I have tried JS, and honestly I think it was easier than GM. There are a lot of shortcuts to doing things, whereas in GM, you have to do some harder things with larger pieces of code. And really, if it wasn't a real language, would it have Booleans? For Loops? Switch Statements? Executable Code? It has pretty much everything, except a couple like the Math.floor, where it would be more like floor(Math). But the majority, I think is like JS.
I have years of experience using a program to create content for a game and am quite aware of other programs like Game Maker (which has been around since before you were born) given my years of researching game and level design. So I am aware of the software and I can therefore tell you that it is set up to allow people to "make" games in much the same Wyvern was set up to allow people to make areas. This is not complicated work.

As for the language, there's a reason why they made their own language instead of making people use an existing language to further customize their content. Which is that doing so allowed them to dumb things down so it's easier for novices to pick up (they say as much in their own promotional material). Does that mean it's the easiest language ever, even more so than Javascript? No, of course not. I never said otherwise, so I don't know why you are comparing the two in difficultly. My only point was that GML was no C++... or Java... wait, you know Java ≠ Javascript, right? I'm kind of getting nervous that you think I was shortening Javascript by just calling it Java.

Quote:
Actually you banned me after about 5 minutes of me trying to explain I didn't know it was against the rules(and no, people that age usually don't read rules).
Ignorance of the rules is not an excuse. I would often go out of my way to talk to people and try to make them understand the rules before I banished them so they wouldn't get into trouble again on other accounts. But, if you took that as an opportunity to try to talk your way out by claiming ignorance instead of paying attention, I don't know what you really expected.

And it's one thing to ignore the rules before playing the game for the first time, but it's another thing to refuse to read them when you kept getting in trouble and the wizard who you were getting in trouble with kept asking you to read them so that wouldn't happen again. What more was I supposed to do? Short of just letting you get away with things that older players who did read the rules would get in trouble for, there's nothing I really could have done (the ball was in your court).

Quote:
The part where I said I am experienced, I meant in programming, not servers. Can you not understand the mind of a kid just because he as no grammar? Or can you just not imagine the possibility that I didn't say something really stupid?
At the time, you wrote that you had just begun to learn about a scripting language and you're now saying you thought that qualified you as an "experienced" programmer? You were and remain a novice based on what you have said.

Quote:
Here you made it sound like you were talking about my graphics, and really, this is what I was going for for this specific shop, genius. Any programmer would make a map like that on purpose, unless you still don't believe I know a real language?
I am talking about the map designs themselves, which has to do with how you place the graphics, not how you draw them. I am not sure what you mean by any programmer would make a map like that on purpose - Do you mean any programmer would use substandard graphics in the early stages and then replace them with the finished product later? If so...

1) You said months ago that your game was in beta "like Wyvern." You should not still be using experimental graphics in the beta stage, but perhaps you don't know what beta is.
2) Yeah, again, I was talking about the design of the maps themselves, which is independent from graphical quality. Good graphics or not, the maps look bland. Anyone can put down some tile and walls. It takes a real "artist" to bring a map to life.

Quote:
I was talking about the graphics, seriously, you need to be more open-minded, or maybe re-read it several times until you have thought of at least two possibilities?
You said that the reason you were embarrassed is because your town had only 6 buildings and was otherwise made up of all grass and dirt roads. That's a design issue, not a graphical one. So I don't what you're talking about.

Quote:
'They may find that they arn't artistically inclined and don't get anywhere at it,' - Remember what I said about typos?
A) That doesn't change the meaning of what I said.
B) You were posting, on average, 2-3 sentence replies. My post was over 10,000 characters (including your quotes) which is the posting limit for this board. So I had to go over the whole thing multiple times, trying to find things to cut and words/phrases to switch off with shorter ones. As part of that I looked for any words that I could make into contractions and so I happened to make a typo while changing "are not" while quickly scanning my post for more things to edit. That's a little different than your posts which, up until recently, could be seen without having to scroll around.

Quote:
Yes, but you didn't grow up in the generation where all kids, can figure out how a computer works like the back of there hand by age 10. I have been able to set one up since I was 8 probably (not impressive, but still, you get my point). My brother, by the time he was my age, he was being paid to make a website for someone, I'm not as interested in HTML as he was, but I think I know more of a variety, and more of a lot of other languages than he did at my age.
All kids, no. Computers were still too expensive for the average family. But for those who it wasn't too expensive for or for those could regularly access a computer at school or elsewhere, they had the same aptitude levels as kids today. I was one of those people who had access to computers and I was particularly taken with them, so I picked it up quickly and I picked it up young. Same as you.

Quote:
As I mentioned, do you really expect someone that age to be good at explaining what he means to people that don't know the first thing about what goes on inside a kids head?
I do kind of expect a 12 year old to be able to say; "No, I'm not making a MMORPG, it's a single player game and I'm using a program called Game Maker" when people say the things they did to you, yes. Also, I happen to know more about how kids think than you may believe, so much so that I know saying this to you is something you won't like hearing and wouldn't believe. But, nevertheless, being introspective about my own thoughts and studying the behaviors of others is something I've been doing since I was younger than 5 and I have a good recall ability for my past thoughts. I can get into a big thing about, but it's not worth it.

I will, however, say that while it's possible that I did not analyze you properly from the brief posts you made in broken English, I maintain the opinion that you fall into the pattern of someone your age who wants validation. As such, you gravitate toward trying to make what you're doing sound more noteworthy/significant. Whether you're aware that you're doing this or have simply been taken in by the advertising and thus legitimately believe you're further along than you really are, I cannot say for sure. While there are plenty of children who are inclined to buy into things like that (just like some younger kids really buy into the sea monkey thing) those who knowingly try to increase the importance of their activities would never admit that's what they're doing. People seeking this kind of validation tend to feel like others don't take them seriously, so the very idea that someone wouldn't believe them (even when they are purposely lying) isn't something they take kindly to.