Wyvern Forums

Wyvern Forums (http://www.wyvernrpg.com/forum/index.php)
-   General (http://www.wyvernrpg.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   wyvern-server (http://www.wyvernrpg.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2396)

binsenkind 06-26-2011 05:53 AM

wyvern-server

what i donīt understand is why r. isnīt renting some root-server from a professional.
here in germany you get some decent hardware (probably a lot better than the existing wyvern-server) from a _serious_ provider with unlimited bandwith for about 30-40€ (40-60$) a month.
iīm sure community would pay for that... itīs about one $ for every active player. i would even rent the server on my own and care about payment, so r. only had to upload his stuff and get the server running.
there would be no 10.000$ to pay and no worry about hardware-failures.

damn, i miss wyvern :)

have a nice sunday

Teshuvah 06-26-2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binsenkind (Post 33452)
what i donīt understand is why r. isnīt renting some root-server from a professional.
here in germany you get some decent hardware (probably a lot better than the existing wyvern-server) from a _serious_ provider with unlimited bandwith for about 30-40€ (40-60$) a month.
iīm sure community would pay for that... itīs about one $ for every active player. i would even rent the server on my own and care about payment, so r. only had to upload his stuff and get the server running.
there would be no 10.000$ to pay and no worry about hardware-failures.

damn, i miss wyvern :)

have a nice sunday

E-mail him and ask him :)

Baurus 06-26-2011 05:17 PM

That sounds like it'd work out for everyone! A lot of us want to see the revival of Wyvern, and then R probably doesn't want to fuss over the game. Everyone wins!

Binsenkind please do as Tesh said and e-mail him! That'd be awesome :D

Good Luck!

binsenkind 06-27-2011 07:47 AM

and so i did and we will see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noQcPIeW6tE

Teshuvah 06-27-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binsenkind (Post 33457)

Love Mr. Cohen!

binsenkind 06-28-2011 05:16 AM

*nods*

me only knew the two cohen-songs from the soundtrack of natural born killers and loved them much so i went two years ago with a good friend to berlin to visit one of his rare concerts and it was really unbelievable.
totally passed out in a positive way and have so much respect now to this man and his decent but marvelous performance.
one of the best days in my life for sure.

*bows*

Xerxes 06-28-2011 04:39 PM

Well done, Binsenkind. The Dwarves may save us yet! I look forward to hearing back from R.

Baurus 06-29-2011 11:07 AM

Yea me too. Keeping hope for all the Wyverneers out there! If this works you should be memorialized in-game. Statue in Minath I think?

Durango 06-29-2011 07:29 PM

Thanks for trying Binsenkind :)

Kama 06-29-2011 08:24 PM

This sounds like a great idea, Bisenkind. I look forward to seeing what R thinks about it. ^^

binsenkind 07-04-2011 07:42 AM

ok, i wrote r. two emails so far, one about two weeks ago and the other last monday and did not get any answer at all.
i guess iīm not moses and and all we can do is wait and believe... like in the pratchett books where gods are only as powerfull as they have many true believers ;)

i hope the sky wonīt fall.

Odolf 07-04-2011 11:57 PM

Heh, you like Pratchett Bins? That's awesome. :)

Thonkhs 07-05-2011 03:37 AM

1) i hope r. will answer you binse, better sonner than later. :D All games to hell i want wyvern back. I keep up hoping, that R. will do it.:rofl:

2) that video is awsome i love that song. Mr Cohen made a really strong song. You would have been visiting Muggy. :D

3) :pointer: Pratchett is really great .

Harbringer Of Good Stuff 07-08-2011 08:00 PM

Hmm...will be interesting.. Oh and 3d games are harder to make than one would expect..

Kama 07-08-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbringer Of Good Stuff (Post 33507)
Hmm...will be interesting.. Oh and 3d games are harder to make than one would expect..

Um, I hate to sound like I'm nitpicking, but I don't see how that last line had any relevance to this thread... and you do realize that Wyvern alone consists of over a million lines of code?

*That is all*

Valkon 07-09-2011 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kama (Post 33508)
Um, I hate to sound like I'm nitpicking, but I don't see how that last line had any relevance to this thread... and you do realize that Wyvern alone consists of over a million lines of code?

*That is all*

Actually last time I heard R talk about the number of lines it was about half a million, most of it Java. So that means at least 25% of that is meta-information (class headers, variable definition/initialization, method definitions), empty lines and comments.

Lanterra 07-09-2011 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valkon (Post 33510)
Actually last time I heard R talk about the number of lines it was about half a million, most of it Java. So that means at least 25% of that is meta-information (class headers, variable definition/initialization, method definitions), empty lines and comments.

That sounds about right for a program like Wyvern. Although I agree, a 3d game would be a major boatload of lines of code over that. Which is why most of those games are coded by teams.

Kama 07-10-2011 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valkon (Post 33510)

*Nod*

I could've had my numbers mixed up, but I thought that was the number I heard. My point was that coding a game isn't easy, period. It's a lot of hard work. Even the simplest of games can take significant effort, let alone 3D.

bloogah 07-11-2011 02:57 AM

Did I hear correctly? Wyvern is going 3d?

binsenkind 07-11-2011 03:50 AM

you did.
it will be called "wyvern forever", by the way.